Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is something that's always bother me about my '05 focus. Within first couple of years of having it back when I bought it new the reflective material in the fog lamps started to peel badly and come off and pile up in the housing. They still worked but it looks terrible seeing that small pile of reflective material. Because my car was still under the 3yr/75,000mi warranty, I got them replaced. Well the new ones did the same exact same thing except by this time they were no longer covered.

I never messed with the fog lights outside of cleaning the lenses and plastic inserts. Never changed the stock light bulbs or anything.

Is this a common occurrence with 05-07 Focii? Was it something fixed by most aftermarket OEM replacements or should I consider buying all purpose fog lights that I can modify?

If this isn't a common occurrence what possibly could I be doing that would cause the peeling? Seems like it would be a heat related problem caused by the bulbs, but again I never replaced the stock bulbs from Ford. Thanks for any help in advance.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my stock housings. It took a while (2005-2014), so I went 9 years of light use before it happened.

I assumed it was a heat issue as well. If you do the R13 relay mod and use your fogs frequently, it's gets even worse.

I went LED to try and cut down on the heat. They are still bright, but don't have the same abilities as 3000-4000K halogens would have. Considering fog isn't a major issue where I live, I don't have any issues with LEDs, but they do lose functionality.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts