Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as some of you know, I've been dreaming about driving at Sears Point Raceway for a long time, the better part of the last two years. It is one of my favorite tracks and has always been my official test track on Gran Turismo. I finally got my chance to go out there at a NASA HPDE event this weekend and I had a BLAST! It exceeded my expectations ten-fold! I learned a [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*load from the instructors and overall had a great time.

Things were looking grim in the first session, I don't think I went WOT once and the instructor was telling me non-stop follow the line, follow the line, which is hard to do when you're not going all out, you basically have to steer to the line since the car's momentum isn't carrying it the way it would. However, by the third session I had graduated to doing lead/follows with my instructor and was having a much better time. I also got to go for a ride with him in his 350Z during session 4, which is very advanced drivers with open passing. That was a rush.

My best session was the fourth, I got about three wide open laps with my instructor behind me and it was nirvana. I was also lucky enough to have the tapes rolling on that lap, so I got some video for you guys.

Here's some of the video, had to kill the quality a lot to get it small enough to host: http://media.putfile.com/Infineon

Here's some pics, the last few were taken by a professional gig at the track.

There were TWO of these at the track. Using your rental to its full potential. :lol:

Hi.

US Touring Car SRT-4 didn't fair too well against a fuel tank fire.

Shot from a BMWCCA Event they had during our lunch.

The R Patrol.

Classic Mercury from the Panamericana Race.

A lot of bay area money was present.

View of the paddock. Truly a world-class track, the facilities were top notch, and the event was very professionally run.

The real deal. Owned by one of the chief instructors and was out on course with us, beautiful machine.

Don (GtnMaZumOn) - Mustang - Frush sandwich)

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
GREAT pics!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Most fun you can legally have with your pants on? I submit that it quite likely is.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
thanks for never sending the pics ya pillowbiter

awesome vid man, cool pics too.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Man I'd love to do that.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yeah no idea whats with the tape on the headlights,

BUT I AM SOOOO JEALOUS of you and getting to be there

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
the tape on the headlights is so if u get into an accident (most likely hit the wall or rear end another car, the glass/plastic wont shatter and end up all ovfer the track, or slice up the other driver.

some cars they go so far as to make you remove the shields over the lights, like on the old 240Z's with the perspex covers over the lights.

·
Registered
580 Posts
There were TWO of these at the track. Using your rental to its full potential. :lol:

You HAD to know that was going to happen. Good god Hertz must be putting out some money for new tires. Those cars look hot and I would love to own one once the rental period for them expires, but knowing what one was put through, would you want to own one? Sorry to thread jack, looks like an amazingly fun time!

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The tape is primarily to keep headlights safe from rocks. Obviously everyone is on very sticky tires up there and it is common for small stones to be thrown around, a rock through my HID would make me very unhappy. [;)]

Thanks for the comments everyone. Did any of you watch the video?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Dang bro! That video was AWESOME! I've got to get out on a track soon. I may be over at FS this Friday getting the tuning perfected, then should definitely be able to at least get down the quarter, and we've got an SVTOA autox event coming up soon too.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Just watched the video, amazing stuff. Also interesting to note how much the race tracks look alike in both real life and on Gran Turismo. I know its supposed to look the same but never realize how much it does until you see it in real life. Very cool thanks for sharing!

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
I watched the video. AWESOME![thumb]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts