Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Ford Focus that keeps giving me problems. A few weeks ago the battery light started coming on. My wife was driving it and said it died "all of a sudden", so we had to push the best off the road and call a tow truck. Good times..

So my questions:

First, I have a feeling that it's the alternator. I don't know that much about the Focus, but the alternator is located on the passenger side next to the reservoir tank. Does anyone know what type of engine this is?

Second, to test the alternator, I've always just started the car and disconnected the battery cable. If the car still runs, it's the battery, if not, it's the alternator. I don't know if this same trick can be used on the focus or not. Can I do this? ...and, if not, is there a way to test the alternator without having a lot of fancy tools?

And third, if it is the alternator, since it's in such a weird place, is there a link someone has that shows how to replace this?

Any help at all would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
The old pull the battery cable to check the alternator trick WILL NOT WORK on this car. It can actually do damage. Check the how to for putting the car into diagnostic mode and check your voltage. It shouldn't dip below 13.

The alternator is a PITA to change, but not impossible.

You should have the 2.0 Zetec motor in your car. You can cofirm this by looking at your valve cover.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ben,

I've replaced many alternators before, but have never seen one quite like this. Usually it's just a quick job, but you're right, it looks to be a major PITA!

Thanks for the information - this looks like just what I was looking for!

BFlesher,

I never knew that the Focus had that feature!! I've been working on this thing all day and only just got back in - I think it would have saved me a ton of time if I would have noticed this before! I'm going to give it a go in the morning and hopefully it'll give me all the information that I'll ever need!

Thanks, you guys are awesome! Very much appreciated!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts