Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, let me say hi to everyone on FF... This is my first post since I recently bought a 03 zx3 focus. It is a great car and I am interested in mods that would turn heads as I pull into mu school's parking lot and whatnot. I don't have a job [8] so my budget is tight. The car is stock and the only thing I have done to it is debadging it. If there are any cool mods I can apply for under 100 bucks plz tell me and how I would go about it.
The car is Liquid Grey color but I really want to get a Varad undercar LCD kit that shines blue. Keep this in mind when suggesting mods. I wanted to start painting the interior of my car, and was wondering what color would go well with the silver exterior (i was thinking blue) and what type of paint, spray? primer? how to take pieces off?

Thanks in advance....

Seb

·
12 years strong
6,882 Posts
if u want to paint ur interior, its not hard at all. i did mine and it took about a day. u can use spray paint. i used krylon. it would be smart to get primer and some clearcoat if u want the glossy look.as for taking things out, most of the interior stuff pops out like the vent surrounds and the two little vents that defog ur windows on ur dash. if its not clipped in, then most everything is held by some screws. when i painted my interior, i used 2 coats of primer, 2 coats of paint, then 2 or 3 coats of clear. if u want some performance mods, there isnt much for less than 100 bucks.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
ok first off.. welcome to FF! were glad that your a new proud owner of a focus!

well, things off my mind that would be visible is i say get a pair of clear bumper lights.. that would be a good cheap start. then maybe find someone who can do some dark tint

for the color that you have.. i would say a dark rich blue. my buddy had a cd silver one and did a normal blue turned out great.

there are several ways to paint your insides.. pull the peices off, do a light sanding, through a coat of primer on there and about 3 coats of paint, then clear coat. let dry

or you can put it in the oven.. which his shop did for him, or use a heat gun. either works well!

i would stick away from the neons now.. because they kinda dont look right on a completely stock car.. i would say neons is the last touch :)

good luck with everything!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks for the quick reply's. Ill go ahead and find a color I like for the interior as well as the tint. I like the ideas of how to paint, cool. What is the cheapest I can get the clear bumper lights for?

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Me again, forgot to mention some things. Im going to take pictures as I paint, to help more newbies like me. I was wondering how to get the door handle moldings and if it is better to do just the rectangle on the handle or the whole handle including the part under the actual locking mechanism? Also how do I get the glove compartment off to paint that, if that is, it looks good painted?

Thx
-Seb

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
First off, [welcome]! To paint my interior I used Dupli-Color on my vent surrounds, and I want to take out the defrost triangles on the dash too, haven't felt like it! I looked at the door sticker for the paint code then found a matching one on the back of the DUpliColor can from AutoZone. I bought some 2200 grit sandpaper and clearcoat too. Just sanded them down, cleaned with acetone-nail polish remover, and put on 2-3 coats each of color and clear. They look great and it's very good about not peeling or chipping!
Also, LiquidGrayZX5 (maybe spelled grey?) made a post in either this or the Old forum, under Interior Mods about her interior painting, it came out awesome... her new name is SunshineCavy04 I think, the name could have changed on the old post too, I don't know how that works. Search and check that post out for some ideas too.

PS- If you want to take Fokuz's advice, my paint's dark blue and it's called DSGM393 DK BLUE M. I also saw at another AutoZone "Ford DK BLUE M" it looks like the same can.

·
Registered
96 Posts
for 100 dollors you could get new blubs in your headlights..be sure you get good ones not ones that need the kit right away...also maybe a short ram intake for starters for under the engine...i live in hawaii and i got a ichibahn for 89.99 probly cheaper where ever your at...you could away change the long antena to a short one...i got 4 swiss audio speakers for little over 100 dollors but i also knew the guy that sold me them and he put them in there for free.Also you could put neons there cheap but stock it wouldnt look right maybe buy them now with the color of car in mind and then put them in later if your gonna show it off...me im building just a show car...so just do research look at other zx3s that are custom and kind get and indea.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
welcome aboard. for 100 bucks i would have to say getting new bulbs for the headligt and the clear corner lenses. the car looks better and different from all the other focus

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
when you get your clear corners.. you can make do with tinting your center upper grill, so you wont have any orange in the front..

here is a pic of my tinted upper grill

heres a pic at night

when my head lights or parking lights are on. my center upper grill or my bumper lights dont turn on. i dont want anything to turn on but my head lights, so i disconnect my upper grill lights. makes my blinker click fast which i can deal with but i dont have no orange showing through what so ever.. i did hear how ever that you can cut the center wire to the upper grill out of the 3 and that will make it so they dont stay on just go on for blinking.. make sense?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks alot guys, lots of answers and real fast too. I appreciate it. Im still pondering on what color to use on the interior, i feel like going a blue that would go well with my silver car, any ideas? I like the dark blue idea hmm. Ill keep ya updated guys.

-Seb[thumb]

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fokuz i really like how you modded your car. Im interested in this front grill light thing. You used black out on the orange? Or did you just disconnect the lights... Maybe a walkthrough, since im a newb :)

-Seb

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I think the best real modification that will turn heads is lowering springs. Not only will it look cooler but it will handle like a go kart!

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
there painted and dissconnected.. paint them like you would paint your interior.. a very light sanding, NO PRIMER THO, then throw a couple of coats on there and a clear coat and there you have..

you can go to a local hobby shop to get model window tint.. so if you want your orange to shine through at night it still will.. but if you get black, it wont shine.. up to you.

good luck

edit: thanks for the compliment man.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
isn't not having the orange lights illegal? if not ill do that since i hate the orange. how much do new bulbs (the ones that are bluish) cost? and what model do i have to get, this is my first car and im really noob.

-seb

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can have the clear lenses they are pretty cheap on ebay. When you buy the item it usually comes with a set of ambers. As far as the bulbs go you can only have amber and clear. You can not have blue, green or red. They are used for emergency vehicle's only. I learned the hard way. But a friend of mine got a pair of lenses that are hard to see through and put a blue bulb in it and has had no problems. I got a $80 ticket for it.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Yup, I had a Liquid Gray ZX5 and painted the interior to match the color of the exterior. It turned out really good, very subtle, not flashy at all.

I would LOVE to show you pics, but... well, when I bought my Cavalier, I deleted all the Focus pics out of my Focus Fanatics gallery and replaced them with three Cavalier pictures. This wasn't a big deal because I still had the pics of my Focus on my hard drive... at least I DID, until my hard drive crashed last week. I am mourning the loss of a year's worth of digital pictures, over 600 MP3s, and numerous programs I had "acquired" over the internet. It was a very tragic thing indeed.

Maybe if you ask around, you can find someone who might have saved a few pics of my car. I certainly wish I had put all that stuff on CD at some point...

Thanks Lil_PZEV for thinkin about me, tho.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i got blubs that shine blue...if i where you go to a import shop or like o'reilys, autozone, napa auto parts, Pet Boys....and show them the car and ask them about head lights and ask how they shine b4 you get them and see if they install for free if not im sure you can do it your self i tried but i didnt know what i was doing so i would suggest have some one put them in for you that knows what they are doing....mine cost 24 dollors with out tax but i went to a this place here in hawaii....The Drop shop that helped me with my lights..also the side markers that are clear look fookin clean as hell when they are on a black car...suggestions on paint...well im doing this color since im a falcons fan but...

Red front that fades whit at my front doors then its white all the wat to my back window...where it fade to black....it looks sweet i didnt it to a model i have and i like it alot...so im hopeing to do the interrior red and black with white....Also i was thinking maybe a Thick but not to thick sliver strip from the front frender where the side markers are at all the way back...that starts to brake apart towards the back...if i get this done im for sure to show all you guys on here because im just like HOLY SHIT THAT LOOKS PIMP..oh yeah
with red neons on the front whit maybe on the side and im not sure if theres any way for black or something like it on the back but im thinking up something

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
all the advice i have is keep it clean, i wouldnt bother with cheap clear tails either

1 - 20 of 20 Posts