Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have done all the exterior and interior mods i want to do for my car

the challage is, i want a little more power for my car and not wanting to spend too much. i have about 700 a month to spare for my car. im not trying to make it a racer, just a little more hps as i drive.

so give me your opionions to what i should do.
thanks
bri

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
Save up a few months for a powerworks [:D]

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
If you could save up for a couple months, a Procharger or Powerworks would be the best bet. A bit of boost is a very good thing, lol.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
if you have 700 extra a month, buy a faster car... like a WRX STi or something

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
or if you're not into boosting, and looking to go the NA route like a few of us, start with an intake, TB, exhaust, then a tune. should liven up the engine quite nicely

oh and of course the mandatory suspension upgrades [thumb]

·
Registered
295 Posts
look before you leap

^^^^ Just an FYI, he's driving an '06, so none of those options are available yet.

I'm no expert on the Dura's, but there are, I believe, two turbo options, (if not already, there will be), from Focus Sport and HiBoost, otherwise there are plenty of bolt on's and I've heard the Dura's respond quite well to those. I'll let someone who's more educated in that area delve into those waters.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Somehow I doubt he means he has $700/month for an indeterminite period, more likely he means $700/month for a few months.

That said, I've thrown about $8,000 at my car, mostly in performance mods and I'm just now starting to see the end of the tunnel. I've gone from wanting a turbo to being more realistic with an all-motor setup; I/H/E, FR head milled to raise compression to ~10.5:1, stage III cams and a tune. I'm shooting for ~160 WHP and close to the same torque.

Forced induction is nice, but its expensive and you have to ask yourself what a ton of power is doing for you when you're spinning your tires into third or fourth gear. There is a limit to effective power...some guys on here have SVTs that are pushing 300 WHP or above, but most of that power is unmanageable in a FWD setup; all you're doing is turning your car into a machine that eats tires and guzzles gas. If you're going to toss that much money at a Focus, you should just do what they were saying and get a STi or Evo.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Cold-air intake, exhaust, header/flex pipe, Stage 1 cams, intake manifold then a tune. That'll set you back about $2000 and get your D20 in the range of(I'm guessing) 150-165whp and they're all fairly simple installs. That's the route I'm planning. FI isn't the best for daily drivers. A naturally aspirated setup like this will open it up quite a bit and it'll still get good fuel economy and run reliably for a daily driver.

Unfortunately, there isn't an intake manifold for the D20 yet. Cosworth has a prototype and there's quite a bit of support behind a production model being offered but Cosworth hasn't committed yet, last I heard.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
150 WHP with I/E/H, stage-1 cams and a tune? No way...add P&P head with a three-angle valve job and you might hit 150, but what you listed isn't going to add 40 WHP. You might hit ~130 WHP, assuming the tune is good. And putting an aftermarket intake manifold on a stock head isn't going to do much...the stock manifold outflows the stock head to begin with.

Another thing to consider is when you get up above the 140 WHP mark you need to start considering strengthening your drivetrain...a LSD would be a good investment as you'll really start to notice the stock differential putting power down to one wheel, and as long as you're in there the 4.06 gears are good if you're never going to go FI (it only knocks about 9 MPH off of the technical top speed and makes the car get off the line much faster.) The stock clutch can hold 140+ WHP, but its going to wear faster so you might want to consider a stage 1 or 2 clutch, and (again) as long as you're in there an aluminum flywheel isn't a bad idea either.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
1) if you don't have one, get an XCal2- you'll need it.
2) give up on your warranty.
3) Choose a cam accordingly, turbo style cams will work in NA motors with tuning.
4) If you want to go NA some day, I suggest finding a wrecked Focus with a 2.3 one FF found one for $400. Junkyards in Memphis sell D23 motors for $450 with computer and harness. Bigger is better.

Turbo options are $4000+. NA is not much cheaper and requires knowledge of how to rebuild. Nitrous requires knowing what you're doing, and a rebuild if you want to go massive with it- for about 1/4 the price of a turbo + rebuild.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts