Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Thank you Horack. It is always good to hear personal experiences about any fix of any system. Your input helps future lookers and other FF members.

Cheers!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 05 Focus:

Blower worked on 2-3-4 (I suspect it was just spinning extremely slowly on 1)
AC only worked on 1

Replaced the resistor yesterday and it solved both problems.[ffrocks]

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 05 Focus:

Blower worked on 2-3-4 (I suspect it was just spinning extremely slowly on 1)
AC only worked on 1

Replaced the resistor yesterday and it solved both problems.[ffrocks]
Thank you for sharing your results and the fix. Great work Charles!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you. I also had the AC light issue. After a half hour at 8 o’clock at night I fixed it.

I don’t understand why the resistor pack was the issue, doesn’t that just control the voltage to the fan?

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,499 Posts
I don’t understand why the resistor pack was the issue, doesn’t that just control the voltage to the fan?
Yes, the resistor pack does control the voltage to the blower fan motor. The 3 resistors drop voltage to provide speeds 1, 2, & 3.
I would advise that you lubricate the bearings in the blower fan as there is the possibility that it is running dry bearings and pulling too much current. That can cause your new blower resistor pack to burn out again.
How to lube the motor bearings is in this thread... How To: ZETEC AC / Heater Fan Motor Removal

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,499 Posts
Because the resistor block has a wire that goes to the A/C controls. When A/C is enabled (via A/C switch) and the blower is turned on, the A/C clutch will engage. If the first resistor on the block is burned out, the A/C clutch will engage, but no blower. Then in speeds 2, 3, and 4, you will have blower work but no A/C.
The circuit looks like this. The wire going off to the right lets the A/C know that the blower is on.

Attachments

21 - 27 of 27 Posts