Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been ages since I logged on but you guys found my problem in about 20 minutes last time so figured I'd give it a try again.

I have a 2001 Focus wagon with Zetec, the following just started happening last week for no apparent reason:

I can turn on the a/c and have the light come on for positions 1,2,3 on the fan dial, but the fan does not run. When I turn the fan dial to 4 the fan comes on full blast and the a/c light goes out.

So here I am, with crazy temps in the mid 30's (celsius) and no air and a job interview tomorrow! Ugh.

I'm guessing it's a relay, probably one in the 'Power Distribution Box' in the eng compartment. Has anyone had this happen and able to pinpoint which relay it would be or if it's more in depth? (relay info pages 170-176 in owner's guide)

Thanks for any help!

Simon

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
it is your blowermotor fan resistor. same thing happend in my grand am. i am guessing that it is behind the glove box. ford likes them there. have fun. and BTW, a replacement part costs @13 bux[thumb]

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a bunch! Will attack it tomorrow afternoon!

·
Registered
5 Posts
i had the same problem with my car. i bought a blower motor resistor from ford for under 15 buck and fixed it today. it was a really easy fix. you have to empty out ur glove box and squeeze the sides to drop it down. in the left hand corner you will see a blue or black rectangle with the blower motor connector plugged into it. that's your blower motor resistor. squeeze the tab to disconnect the wires. there is a small phillips screw on the bottom part of the rectangle. unscrew it. be careful not to drop the screw and take the old resistor out. do the reverse to connect the new blower motor resistor. it took me about tem ninutes to do this. and i'm a rookie!

·
Registered
5 Posts
if you can find my thread, the person who helped me posted a really great pic of the resistor and where it is. it REALLY helped me. i printed it up and took it with me to the car when i fixed it. look for my name to find the question i posted and the reply. Lillydot. hope that helps[:)]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks... did end up using that pic and instructions, fixed it today... although my new one cost $23+tx, I assume everyone that said ~$13 was in US.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts