Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post on the forum, I just bought a 2002 Ford Focus SE wagon. I already fixed the rear hatch wiring issue, thanks for the help, it really helped me fixing it.

Another thing that has cropped up, is that my air conditioner works fine, however, when the air conditioner is off the clutch still engages the compressor intermittently. While this isn't the worst problem in the world, I still would like to see it fixed as it does cut into my gas mpg a little bit and also my power.

Does anybody have any ideas where to start troubleshooting? Is an electrical problem, maybe something simple as a relay?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
17,165 Posts
They can wear the front plate to decrease the airgap there which is normally as close to .030" max as you can get. Special thin washers are used behind the plate after you remove center bolt to take plate off. Watch for any washers already there and add a bit. Hardware stores commonly have a washer that will work there. If you add too much then a/c clutch won't pull in to connect.

When the gap disappears the friction then begins to drag plate to turn it.

Mine did it last year, it works fine now.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Sure it isn't turned to one of the defrost settings?

Anything beyond the center of the selector dial includes defrost, so it normally works in winter settings.

Turn it to a dash & floor setting & it prob. won't cycle as described.

(assuming no mechanical failure as amc described)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Sure it isn't turned to one of the defrost settings?

Anything beyond the center of the selector dial includes defrost, so it normally works in winter settings.

Turn it to a dash & floor setting & it prob. won't cycle as described.

(assuming no mechanical failure as amc described)
There's also a how to somewhere of how to disable this. It's just one plug you disconnect from the back of the HVAC controls

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Sailor was correct, when I moved out of the front defrost setting, the clutch stopped engaging. Now I want to stop it :).

@Nmarzoli04, do you or does anyone know where to find the disconnection instructions? BTW, I lived in Dover from 78-83, attended Woodman Park Elementary.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Glad it turned out to be a non-problem.

IMHO you should leave it alone & NOT do a disconnect.

Occasional use of the A/C in the Winter was always advised to help keep it functional before the systems were set up to use it with defrost. You'd have to open up the dashboard & reconnect it regularly to do this, rather a PITA.

When defrost isn't needed, you can always turn it off to keep the A/C off.

It CAN help at times for clearing condensation...

Last reason - laziness.

Why fool with what isn't broken & make yourself more work? If you reconnected it in the spring after not using it all winter & it didn't work you'd be kicking yourself because the "savings" of not using it may have cost a LOT more in the end.

·
Registered
17,165 Posts
Under certain conditions you can even fog up the windshield from turning the heat on defrost, the a/c being on corrects that within seconds, without it it can be dangerous. Don't ask how I know............

Thinking a/c should not be on with defrosting is a mistake, they've done it on cars for 40 years.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
This "mod" actually still allows you to use the compressor with defrost- you just have to do it manually. That connector is what turns on the ac automatically with defrost, so once you disconnect it you have to press the ac button in order to run it

I agree with you guys, the compressor helps with drying out the car on wet days. On dry winter days when you want to melt ice? Not as much. If you can remember to hit the ac button when you need it, why not disconnect it. If not, don't mess with it then :)

·
Registered
17,165 Posts
That's great if the way it truly works, I've never chased it down myself.

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,589 Posts
I agree with the above comments that disabling the A/C in defrost mode is really not a good idea.

Running the A/C in defrost mode really has nothing to do with "defrosting" as in ice; rather, it runs for dehumidification purposes. If you have ever been driving along and suddenly have your windshield fog up, you will appreciate the A/C function. I have had my windshield fog up in just seconds, and when you are doing 70 down the highway it is not a great experience. Running the A/C in defrost mode has been standard on all vehicles for decades now for both convenience and safety reasons.

And yes, you can disable this automatic function and turn the A/C on manually, but why? Someone else driving the car may not know that this automatic A/C function has been disabled and that they must turn it on manually. Besides, if the system is properly charged, then the A/C won't turn on below about 40 degrees because the pressure is too low.

·
Registered
17,165 Posts
Exactly..............when that glass fogs like it can sometimes, you panic in seconds as you are driving blind. I had that feature disabled once on an old car (I was a moron) and one winter when it got just cold enough to not freeze but pouring down rain the car refused to run without fogging that windshield every 60 seconds or so from the extreme humidity in car even with the defrost heat on. Extremely dangerous under those conditions. I had to keep a towel in car to continually wipe the shield down so I could keep going.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts