Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a leaky accumulator and replaced it but am wondering as I can't find out anywhere exactly how much pressure the system is suppose to be running at, any ideas?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I'm pretty sure it runs at 145 psi.

Go to auto zone and look at the gauge that comes with one of those recharge kits. See what the "green zone" is on the gauge. The pressure is determined by what type of refrigerant the system uses, so it would be the same for any system running R134.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got one of the recharge kits and it shows between 25 and 35psi but I wasn't sure as I've heard to follow that, that it's 1psi for 1degree F, 80 psi, and a number between 140 and 150psi

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
you have two pressures when the a/c is running, the low side and high side. the charging port (near the accumulator) is on the low side of the system. 25-35 psi is good, and listen for the a/c clutch to cycle every few minutes, not every few seconds...

the high side should be 150 ish, higher in a high heat, humidity area.

Your ambient pressure (when the car isn't running, or a/c has been off for a few minutes) is where you get your 1psi to 1 degree comparison, but if you have high humidity, the numbers don't work out that neatly (usually 12 psi for 10 degrees in humid states)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lowered the low side port pressure to 30psi.....is there any way to check to see if the compressor engages while driving down the road?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
30 psi while the a/c was running? (clutch was engaged?)

if not, you just wasted some freon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts