Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It all started when I noticed that the A/C was blowing outside temp. air into the car. Of course A/C was engaged and the fan was on. This 'getting warmer air' did not seem related anyhow to the RPM. Altough when I hit the pedal above 90% or so, the PCM turns the A/C off to make more power available to the engine. This is all by design (although I have 'warm' air 2 minutes after hitting the gas).

The problem might be related to the outside temp. and the temp. of the car. When I drive it between 12pm and 5pm for a while it randomly starts to blow warmer air (since its around 90-95 degrees here outside air equals warm air). This takes maybe 5 minutes before cold air start to get back in the car.

The compressor IS engaging (I can hear the click) and the HVAC seems to work alright. One strange thing is that since yesterday I hear a strange metal like sliding sound when I engage the A/C. So when the A/C clutch connects to the compressor that sound is hearable. Still the compressor is working I guess because cold air comes out of the vents. It sounds like its slowly dying? Or could it maybe be the belt? Since the A/C puts some extra stress on it when engaged.

So the problem is actually:
1. The A/C starts blowing outside temp air after a random amount of time (for about 5 minutes). The outside temp and car operating temp seem te be related to that problem.
2. Since yesterday a sliding like sound comes up as soon as the A/C clutch connects to the compressor. I'm not sure if this is because the extra stress on the belt, or that the compressor is going bad. Maybe thats also the reason problem 1 exists?

I was able to check the pressure on the low port, which is good. Since I'm low on tools at the moment I would like to do some brainstorming here first). I'm thinking that the compressor is going bad slowly. That might be the cause of problem 1 as well. The fix could be to drain the system, replace the compressor (can do that myself) and find a place to let the system recharged.

The car is a ZX3 2004 with almost 100k miles on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A little update:
So far the sound is still there. I'm not sure wheter the sounds starts playing as soon as the clutch engages or when I press the A/C button in the car. The sounds starts getting hearble around 2k RPM and around 3k RPM the sound is most loud. Then when you hit the gas to 3.5K and above the sound seems to go away (or maybe the engine sound just overwhelms it).

The A/C keeps working, blows cold air. Oh, and the car temperature does not matter for the sliding sound. It is there as soon as the clutch engages and the engine hits < 2k RPM.

I'm still unsure wheter it could be the compressor or the belt itself. Or maybe one of the pulley's? Could the compressor by adding more stress on a belt cause a pulley with a bad bearing start to make noise? But then, the problem I had before with the A/C not always blowing cold air... That would point more in the compressor direction?

·
&#1092;&#1072;&#1085;&#1072;&#1090;&#1080;&#1082;
5,056 Posts
The sliding sound; is that under the hood, or inside the car? Blend door broken loose?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The sliding sound; is that under the hood, or inside the car? Blend door broken loose?
It is definitely coming from under the hood. It is difficult to say whether it is the compressor or not. But since the sound starts after you hear the 'click' when engaging the A/C, that's my best bet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is definitely coming from under the hood. It is difficult to say whether it is the compressor or not. But since the sound starts after you hear the 'click' when engaging the A/C, that's my best bet.
The sounds got a bit worse since it started. With worse I mean more loud. I sometimes also have the feeling that it really decreases performance, more then the A/C normally would do.

Anybody any input? Or maybe ideas on how to diagnose the compressor/pulleys/belt etc.? Everything is welcome!

·
&#1092;&#1072;&#1085;&#1072;&#1090;&#1080;&#1082;
5,056 Posts
Noises are kinda hard to diag on the internet. It may be the A/C clutch making the noise, but it's honestly hard to tell from here. I wish there was more I could do for you. Maybe a sound clip on youtube would help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts