Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My A/C has started to leak refrigerant and no longer blows cold air. it uses the new r-1234yf coolant. I was wondering is it's fine to use the recharge kits from the auto parts store as I've heard mixed things about this new coolant.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I don't recommend mixing refrigerants.

I really don't know much about this new refrigerant. If I had a car with it I would either do two things research it to death, or find a shop that has the experience of using this new stuff.

The stuff is still pretty darn expensive maybe in the future it will come down in price. See if your dealership offers any coupons or discounts many do.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
If your vehicle uses R1234YF refrigerant, then chances are that it is still covered under warranty, unless you have already blown through 36,000 miles on the car. If you have a ESP policy, then it would be covered under that.

·
Registered
16,453 Posts
Thinking just like with R12 to R134 the fittings change so you can't mix refrigerant. If I remember right from studying it a couple years ago you can't buy the refrigerant or tooling for it, it is intentional to stop all the incompetent DIY work out in the field. The OEMs came up with that after millions ot people waste R134 by repeat releasing it into the atmosphere to wreck the ozone layer AGAIN and with this next gen refrigerant they are trying to stop all of that. Part of the new effort is to recollect all that work to force people to go back to dealers as they are the only ones that can service it.

Dunno if that ever changed or not.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Not what you asked, but I'd bring it to a shop to locate and fix the leak.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I remember reading an article saying that the new R1234 is the synthetic version of R134A and is very flammable. When the aftermarket started selling this formula that that blew much colder than straight R134A, it was a blend of a new synthectic formula and straight R134A mixed together, and was safe to add to an existing straight R134 system. It was sold as Arctic Chill for about $20 a 12oz can. Now when you go to Auto Zone, all they promote is the new blends for 3x the price.

I remember the debate, between people charging R134A systems with all Arctic Chill, and the advice was no because it's very flammable and can catch your car on fire, so don't do it. I've never seen a new R1234 system, but would imagine it's a completely sealed system. I'm not going to take the time to research R1234 since I have no need for it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
R1234YF (used on all 2020 and newer vehicles) is no more of a sealed system than any other A/C system. All A/C systems by nature have to be sealed from the environment that they operate in. Also all A/C systems are serviceable. They have to be. Hoses have attaching points at the compressor, condenser, evaporator, expansion valve ect ect. They all have service ports to evacuate, pressure test and recharge the system.

·
Registered
16,453 Posts
But they use proprietary fittings to do that. You likely will need a license to buy the refrigerant as well.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Probably more of a quick connect fitting to reduce assembly time, like how all the electrical connectors are.

·
Registered
16,453 Posts
The industry will have collaborated to already finalize the design of the quick coupling long ago but it will be different from the others for the reasons said. The whole idea of the new refrigerant is to not let control of it slip out of the hands of the dealer pros this time, to prevent all the problems that show up when the incompetents in the DIY crowd mess their stuff up. Half the wasted money spent in dealer work is cleaning out the recovery systems when idiots mix refrigerants and additives to mess the equipment up.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Mercedes did that last decade with their automatic transmissions. Made it where you had to have a special machine to do a fluid change. And they charged $300 for it.

So I guess the new A/C 2020+ is going the way of Walmart. Push out the independents and keep it internal.

Reactions: SEEcoboost
1 - 12 of 12 Posts