Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a leak in my a/c lines some where....but thats besides the point. Im going on a 4 hour trip today and its hotter than monkey balls in florida. I am wondering how much coolant I should use in the a/c system to last me enough for my trip. I know its a relativly slow leak(took about 2 months to lose the freon)...would one 14 oz can last or do I need more?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Coolant goes into the cooling system :)

Just get a little kit that comes with a pressure gauge, then you'll know exactly. Most freon that you buy in a store has leak sealant, which apparently fixes tiny leaks around o-rings and such so that might fix it all together. Oh and usually the cans in such a kit also contain a corresponding amount of oil.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
EIGHT POUNDS!!!??? I don't even think a bus uses 8 pounds! What ever you do, don't try to compensate for your little leak by over charging the thing. Too much refrigerant will hurt the unit's performance and could damage the system.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Find a sticker. Usually right by the grille, or under the hood. It tells you the exact system capacity. If it's not cooling at all, you can safely add one can, then you might need to add partial can of second can. By the way, you need a refrigerant R-134a. Don't add anything else, such as R-12 from the 80's you happen to have sitting around.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
my a/c lines busted right where they come out of the compressor you might want to check it out right there I could see the reeon leaking out talk about a bummer. The new lines cost I think $113 dollors but then when trying to put them on I had to go back to the dealership cause they redisigned the a/c lines so I had to up grade which cost more money. Well good luck.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well shit that sucks....Ive looked around too see if a line blew any where, but I couldnt see it...Ill have to double check

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Mine busted right where it comes out of the compressor but if there is no freeon in it you won't see it leaking out. You could use a leak detector but the only people I know that have one are mechanics. It sniffs out the leak.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^^Well I know you can us a UV light to locate a leak as well, but You have to clean every thing and I am just to damn lazy to do that lol. I think I will try the simple stuff first

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ok new delama...I got the adatper and can of freeon and went to put it on and the needle in the adapter broke off in the valve of the evaporator(i guess thats what the canister is called)....I cant get it out, what should I do?

EDIT: I got the tab out...but the a/c is recharged and Im still not getting cold a/c, What would cause this...The leak is not visible and I am retaining pressure in the system it self so what else could cause this? I can hear the compressor come on and so do the fans. Is there a relay for the a/c and if so which one it is?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it was actually really high...I never really was able to charge it because it was so high at 100psi, I know thats bad sorry I left that detail out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts