Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure I have a dead something (squirrel or whatever) somewhere in the AC system, because when I turn the fan on and have the vents open i get this horrible smell. When it's on recycle there's no smell though. So... any ideas on what to do or where to look for the little sucker??
I know nothing about this. any and all help is appreciated.

·
Registered
875 Posts
You should have someone look at it. If it is something dead, it can only get worse.

*thinks of a bloating squirrel corpse with maggots on it suddenly bursting and leaking juice into the A/C, then spraying the vapor into your car*

*shudders*

Sorry, I don't know what to say, I know nothing of working on the A/C.

·
Registered
100 Posts
That'd have to be unhealthy too. GO GET IT CHECKED NOW! You don't want to end up [xx(]...

·
Titular Wit Here
5,205 Posts
Maybe a dead mouse or rat, in the underhood area, since the smell goes away if you switch to recirculate.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You guys just reminded me, my sister had a clunk clunk clunk sound when she put her ac or defrost on. We decided to take it apart in my driveway. Well wouldn't you know it, it was a dead rat stuck inside the squirrel cage. Every rotation of the squirrel cage caused the rats stuck head to clunk against other stuff (can't remember what) within the area. A week later my mom was driving the vehicle and she put the ac on and all of a sudden all this hay, twigs, straw, crap and dust blew out of one of the vents all over her lap and shirt while she was driving. She was horrified. It turns out that it was all the crap from the rats nest that blew out of the vent and onto my mom. The poor women.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Drop the glovebox and you can get to the blower motor. You can take it out and you should find your problem.

When I worked in the blower motor group at Visteon, we would go once a month and look at all the returned motors. You wouldn't believe some of the nasty shit that crawls in there and dies.

·
Registered
207 Posts
You might want to pop the plastic cover off the passenger side in front of the window. It is where the air filter is located for the climate control. It will also allow you to see across to the other side. Perhaps something is lodged there? If not, check the fan as others have indicated.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
azdamay, I already checked that, nothing in there.

cambam, that was pretty funny, lol

pspringe, you mean like taking the dash apart???

mr-914, thanks, I'll try that too.

thanks guys. i'll keep you posted

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
azdamay, I already checked that, nothing in there.

cambam, that was pretty funny, lol

pspringe, you mean like taking the dash apart???

mr-914, thanks, I'll try that too.

thanks guys. i'll keep you posted

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that's what I thought.
but it's not like it just started smelling 2 days ago.
I've waited long enough already, and the smell won't go away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts