Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
summer has hit NC and i have been forced to use the a/c on my ride home from work. the thing is, when i idle or acclerate quickly, the a/c cuts out and blows hot air. when i reach a steady speed, it kicks back on and blows cold air. the thing is, i just got moved to the 82nd and i have no time to take it in, and if it has to stay there, i cant be without a car. anyways, is this an easy fix? i like to do most things on my own and dont want anyone to mess with my car but me. much thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Well, it depends a bit on how you drive. When you accelerate VERY fast, the A/C is designed to kick-out, so that all the engine power is given to the acceleration (figuring that you might be passing or something so acceleration takes priority over A/C). And, of course, if you are idling, the A/C will have a much lower output due to the lower output from the compressor.

So the relative operating characteristics are normal. It would appear that the output may simply be weak, due to a leak and resulting low refrigerant charge. Since you are under warranty, the only real answer is to have the dealer check it out and see if there is a leak or a factory undercharge (unlikely.)

But, are you putting the "recirculate" on to maximize the A/C cooling? Depending on how hot it is and the humidity level, the A/C in these smaller cars is typically not as powerful as larger vehicles with higher HP engines.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts