Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really hope someone has some input for me. I have a 2000 Ford Focus ZX3.

A few weeks ago, I went to turn on my car's a/c and nothing happened...no fan running or air coming out of the vents. The a/c light on the control panel does NOT come on, however the air recycling light and the rear defrost switch light do come on.

So far I've tried to switch out the Blower Motor Switch and the Blower Motor Resistor...no luck with either.

Does anyone know what could possibly be wrong? Should I just have the blower motor replaced? I hate taking it to get it serviced (because I feel like I'm getting ripped) so any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks.

·
Registered
157 Posts
There's not much to the blower circuit... Did you check the fuse? Fuse #64 (30 Amp) in the underhood battery junction box powers the blower motor. See if you have power to the motor at all.

Fuse #58 and #36 in the central junction box both power some functions of the A/C control module, which connects your heater blower switch, recirc air actuator, A/C switch, etc. together via some logic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding. I did check the fuses under the hood and under the drivers console.

Do you think it could possibly be related to the fan switch? I know the a/c light won't come on unless the fan is turned on, and if the fan control switch isn't working, wouldn't that keep it from coming on?

It's puzzling me!

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
It could be related to the fan switch; but you said you have already replaced it, or at least that's what I thought you meant when you said "no luck with either."

The Fan should work without the A/C. So at this point I would consider it a "fan not working" problem, rather than an "A/C not working," and go from there. I would see about accessing the fan motor connector and, using a multimeter or test light, see if it is getting any power.

P.S. A wiring diagram would be helpful, as well as some instructions regarding removing the blower motor, etc. So if I were you, I would pop $15 for a repair manual. While not perfect, they often provide hints, photos, or other information (such as wiring diagrams and wire color codes) that save a lot of time and frustration.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your input.

What I meant was I had replaced the blower motor switch, which the a/c indicator light is on....that's what motorcraft called the part. anyway, the part where the fan switch is located is called a "heater control panel" i believe....

if the fan switch on the panel will not turn on (it's electrical, I believe), wouldn't that inhibit my a/c indicator light from switching on, and also keep the fan from turning on?

i already figured it was not a cooling issue, but more of a fan issue. at least it's not a cooling issue because that can be really expensive.

I do have a Hayne's manual already. The wiring diagrams seemed a little overwhelming to me. i guess i'll try to take a look at them and see what i can come up with.

I'll let you know what I figure out or if I just give in and take it to be repaired (It's getting pretty hot in Florida!).

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
try testing for power at the actual blower motor. Use a test light, connect the ground lead for the light on the black wire (use a paper clip or something to connect the two) and poke the test light probe lightly into the power wire. If the light comes on, you need a new blower motor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi. I just fixed mine. It turns out that it was the fan control switch (the one that lets you turn the fan speed off or on). It was a $20 part from Ford. I installed it and it worked like a charm!

My boyfriend bypassed that switch to make sure that my fan still ran. He just put a wire into the switch that plugged into the fan switch.....

Let me know if this isn't making any sense....I'd be glad to help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just re-read my post that I posted last night....about putting the wire into the switch....

i don't know if this is a safe thing to do...but what my boyfriend did was unbend a paperclip, and place it into both sides of the plug that plugs into the fan switch....it got REALLY hot....i have a feeling it wasn't the safest thing to do..but it basically created a current to see if the fan motor would even turn on...

the $20 part I got from Ford is worth a try though, definitely... it beats taking it in to a mechanice or dealer and getting reamed for something simple.

good luck and let me know if it worked for you!

btw, the fan switch part looked all melted on the inside (the part the plug goes into)...if yours does too, it's definitely the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts