Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Was that our exit?!?
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that you can never rid yourself of the parasitic loss of power while running the A/C. However, what can help your engine run more efficiently? Does grounding help? Are there other mods to help with this? Its getting hot and humid in Jersey and it feels like im less 40 horses and 40 ibs of torque when i put on the A/C for a little. Huge PIA, especially when accelerating from a stop.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I definetely know what you mean since i get that as well with my 2001 ZTS automatic.I trie not to use the AC as much as i can but sometimes it gets so hot that i have to.And then the car dont drive the same and i can feel the power loss.I definetely would be interested in hearing any workaround for this to.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I know the smaller Hondas had/have a clutch on the AC pulley so that it would kick off under acceleration. I wonder if something like that could be fitted on the Focus?

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Honestly nothing that you will notice dramatically that's an easy solution.... all small engine cars with A/C hurt tremendously when your running the A/C.... it's the way it is.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
All cars have a clutch on the A/C pulley. That is how you disengage the A/C at any time.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"I know the smaller Hondas had/have a clutch on the AC pulley so that it would kick off under acceleration. I wonder if something like that could be fitted on the Focus?"

That's already on the focus, and on most, if not all, cars. But it generally takes "WOT" Wide Open Throttle for it to disengage the A/C clutch. It's considered a safety factor when passing other vehicles on two-lane roads/highways.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I've noticed when i added my FC underdrive pulleys that it helped with acceloration while the A/C is on. My acceloratin has gottan alot better now, had the pulleys on for about 3 years now and i have same power with A/C on as when its off...there is still some bogging due to the great automatic that ford wonderfully designed....LOL... I still kick my ass when I didnt get a damn 5 speed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts