Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my wife's car the A/C acts like it is on a Thermostat instead of "always on" like every other vehicle I've ever had. With it on Max A/C and fan on 1 or 2 it will stop blowing cold and you get that damp smell like the dehumidifying effect is not working. If I wait long enough it will start back up. When I can't take it I crank it to 3 or 4 for 30 seconds or so and it starts blowing cold and smell clears up then I put it back to 1 or 2 or I would freeze. I'm thinking Max A/C would be all A/C all the time. I will definitely be talking to the dealer about this. Anyone else had odd A/C operation?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Yes, I have experienced the same thing when it was still hot here. I did complain and of course they said it was normal. I don't have to use A/C now because its between 30-50 degree temps here now that it's fall.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Yep, same here as well. A brief period where it kicks off on its own and then kicks back in a little bit later (like csvt though, it hasn't been an issue for me lately as we are well past the A/C stage of our year, quite cool up here now).

There have been earlier threads about this and from other people's comments in them, this does seem to be "normal" behavior, not just a few isolated incidents.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. That sucks.

One thing I really dislike is a car that thinks it's smarter than I am. Like turning the recirculation off and on (or A/C). I like it when I push a button and the damn thing stays off or on until I tell it otherwise.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Don't the higher trim levels have "automatic" AC? I'm guess it then does it's own thing like you describe, but I do not know as I only test drove and ordered an SE with "manual" AC.

·
Registered
360 Posts
just more proof that the more gizmos you have in a car, the bigger a pain in the arse it is...

·
Registered
416 Posts
It's hard to tell from your post if you have the 'Auto' feature or not. If it is, it sounds like you've over-ridden the 'Auto' by manually selecting either air, heat, or fan speed. I did this once before and couldn't figure out why AIR was either always 'On' or 'Off'. Just had to make sure all other settings were off, then hit 'Auto' and then leave it to the car to adjust accordingly.

Re-circulate may also over-ride the 'Auto' functionality.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's hard to tell from your post if you have the 'Auto' feature or not. If it is, it sounds like you've over-ridden the 'Auto' by manually selecting either air, heat, or fan speed. I did this once before and couldn't figure out why AIR was either always 'On' or 'Off'. Just had to make sure all other settings were off, then hit 'Auto' and then leave it to the car to adjust accordingly.

Re-circulate may also over-ride the 'Auto' functionality.
I should change my sig so you know what I have. Only the 201A package, no MFT, or Sync. Just the 201A for the cruise and Sport package for 4 wheel disc and alloy wheels. Manual A/C. I wish I could make it all A/C all the time but I don't see how. Here in AZ we don't need the A/C thinking the car is cold enough, we like to make that decision.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Kind of a small engine for 'always on' A/C use.
I bought my SE (with manual climate) in August, and used the A/C for the first few weeks prettty much.
Since then not at all except a few defogging in rain uses.
I did notice it seemed to cut out unless at full blast.
I assumed the system had it's reasons, being with a small engine. ??
Anyway, i am only a 'use the air a few times a year' person.. (like end of July through August and maybe a few days in Sept. person. (living near a big lake helps keep the temps down)
For folks in the South or Southwest.. you have my sympathy.

·
Registered
291 Posts
In my wife's car the A/C acts like it is on a Thermostat instead of "always on" like every other vehicle I've ever had. With it on Max A/C and fan on 1 or 2 it will stop blowing cold and you get that damp smell like the dehumidifying effect is not working. If I wait long enough it will start back up. When I can't take it I crank it to 3 or 4 for 30 seconds or so and it starts blowing cold and smell clears up then I put it back to 1 or 2 or I would freeze. I'm thinking Max A/C would be all A/C all the time. I will definitely be talking to the dealer about this. Anyone else had odd A/C operation?

The A/C compressor should not run all the time. It will cycle on and off as needed to maintain the set temperature.

Since the mid-1990s, most cars equipped with air conditioning have also been equipped with electronic modules that tell your car’s ac compressor to cycle on and off. This is a very normal operation.

Although it does seem alarming when it first happens to you at a stoplight or when you are idling at the local Wal-Mart, it is very normal. The electronic module in your car’s air conditioning system is informing your car’s compressor that it can take a break because the car has reached the interior temperature you have chosen and the compressor is not needed to move the refrigerant around.

The only thing MAX A/C does with the manual A/C system you have is recirculate the interior air, rather then draw outside air.

MAX A/C setting is useful when you first enter a hot car, it helps speed the cooling process. However, if you're getting too much humidity in the car then take it off MAX A/C, which will allow fresh, drier air in. Humidity increases in a car when someone is inside and exhaling, keeping it on MAX A/C will keep recirculating that air and humidity will continue to increase.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@FF4 that all sounds right and is how my last vehicle (and every other vehicle I have owned or ridden in) operated. The problem is that it appears to take too long of a break to where the interior is warmer than I would like plus the humidity/smell. Most of the year we do have very low humidity and outside air would be lower than recirculated interior. However, I have never owned a car that did not have an odd (unpleasant) smell coming from the ducting immediately after turning off the A/C and I always attributed it to humidity that was not being taken car of by the A/C being on. If A/C is left off long enough it goes away (dries up). The part of the year that it is humid at times it is also over 100 degrees. Letting 110 degree humid air in the car while the A/C decides to take a break doesn't sound so good. I defy anyone to ride in my (wife's) car and experience this A/C operation to defend it as being correct. I have never experienced this in my previous car(s) or my wifes previous car(s) (I am driving my wife's old car until I take delivery of my Focus). Our humidity is probably 5% right now and the car gets uncomfortable at times. Not acceptable. I have some other things the dealer will be looking at and this is one of them. I would love it if it is some setting that I am unaware of. I'll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
772 Posts
@FF4 that all sounds right and is how my last vehicle (and every other vehicle I have owned or ridden in) operated. The problem is that it appears to take too long of a break to where the interior is warmer than I would like plus the humidity/smell. Most of the year we do have very low humidity and outside air would be lower than recirculated interior. However, I have never owned a car that did not have an odd (unpleasant) smell coming from the ducting immediately after turning off the A/C and I always attributed it to humidity that was not being taken car of by the A/C being on. If A/C is left off long enough it goes away (dries up). The part of the year that it is humid at times it is also over 100 degrees. Letting 110 degree humid air in the car while the A/C decides to take a break doesn't sound so good. I defy anyone to ride in my (wife's) car and experience this A/C operation to defend it as being correct. I have never experienced this in my previous car(s) or my wifes previous car(s) (I am driving my wife's old car until I take delivery of my Focus). Our humidity is probably 5% right now and the car gets uncomfortable at times. Not acceptable. I have some other things the dealer will be looking at and this is one of them. I would love it if it is some setting that I am unaware of. I'll let you know what happens.
I agree. I haven't experienced this in any other vehicle, and if it's by design it's a poor one.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
i tend not to use th automatic feature and operate the aircon and heat manually. If hate when technology 'thinks' for you and prefer to do it myself. Because of this i haven't experienced any of the 'automatic' problems u guys are disucussing.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have an SEL with Auto climate. Mine does the same thing. Big Humidity smell and then clears. You can feel cold air from vents and then goes more warm. I notice this alot when slowing down for stopsigns/Lights. Also, makes no difference if I am in 'Auto' climate mode or manual with Fan on 1 or 2. I originally thought the Recirc button would resolve this, but, it doesn't. I too was going to go to the dealer, but, it is now fall and It isn't bothering me. Wait until spring though and I might have it checked anyway just to verify it is working properly.
Damian

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i tend not to use th automatic feature and operate the aircon and heat manually. If hate when technology 'thinks' for you and prefer to do it myself. Because of this i haven't experienced any of the 'automatic' problems u guys are disucussing.
I'm thinking I only have manual A/C and don't have the option to intentionally let it thinks for itself. It just does. Am I mistaken and I have more control than I think? This is manual only, right?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Same issue here on a 2012 SE with sport package. Seems weird driving along and then all of a sudden get the very humid air and then in a bit the A/C kicks back on. If this was a intended design the engineer should be fired, How can this possibly be a good idea? Especially with a wife that has hot flashes.

Montana

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Same issue here on a 2012 SE with sport package. Seems weird driving along and then all of a sudden get the very humid air and then in a bit the A/C kicks back on. If this was a intended design the engineer should be fired, How can this possibly be a good idea? Especially with a wife that has hot flashes.

Montana
Yeah, what he said. Especially the wife part. And if she ain't happy ain't nobody gonna be happy!

·
Registered
210 Posts
same problem here. Manual A/C. It really does get annoying when it does things on its own and doesn't let you override what it did.
It turns off 'circulation' when I move it out of Max A/C. The A/C cuts off for long intervals thus getting me the whole damp air feeling. And moreover, it doesn't even let me kick it back on (I just kick the fan up to 3 or 4 to restart the A/C).
And, yeah, I know all this has been discussed before but it's just plain annoying. Luckily, I won't need the A/C for most of the year, living in WI :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yup, same problem here. Luckily it's winter now, I plan on complaining about it next time summer comes around and hopefully they'll have the issue figured out. Don't feel like putting up with a dealer right now. I'm already having enough trouble trying to get a non-whistling mirror.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts