Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a problem where I can't turn the A/C on in my 2004 Focus SE. Pushing the A/C button appears to do nothing, no light comes on, no audible clicks, and no cold air. I bought it used and at first the a/c light was on continuously, and I couldn't turn it off. Then I tried to turn it off randomly last night, and it turned off, but won't turn on again. All the other controls work, including the blower fan, temperature, recirculation and rear defroster, just not the A/C switch.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd greatly appreciate hearing them. Also, it seemed like the A/C was working fine, as it was getting cold in the vehicle when it was on, so I don't know if it's a freon thing or not.

Thanks a lot,

Chris

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
matthewstetz said:
it isnt on the defrost mode, is it? try changing the position of the air flow... then, try fuses
I've adjusted the position of the air flow switch to all locations, as well as temperature and fan settings. As for the fuses, according to the manual there are two fuses, both 7.5A, one for A/C and Recirc, and that fuse is good (also Recirc is working fine), and the other fuse is for the A/C switch, instrument cluster, and hazard lights. Cluster and hazards work fine, and I checked the fuse for that and it was good as well.

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
there is a fuse box, on the drivers side.. little balck box.. pull the cover open and look at the diagram for anything to do with the a/c

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
matthewstetz said:
there is a fuse box, on the drivers side.. little balck box.. pull the cover open and look at the diagram for anything to do with the a/c
K, I check all the relevant fuses in there, and they seemed fine. Pulled out the relay, and it looked okay, though I'm not sure how to check to see if a relay is good or bad.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"though I'm not sure how to check to see if a relay is good or bad."

A lot of the relays are "generic" and identical. Check the parts numbers printed on the relays and you can switch with an identical relay. If A/C starts working and the "other thing" stops, it's the relay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, that's what did it. I swapped it with the high beam relay, and now both the high beams and the a/c are working fine. I really appreciate the assistance. The A/C light does stay on constantly unless the fan is off still, but I'm guessing that's normal operation?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"The A/C light does stay on constantly unless the fan is off still"

That's not normal. I suspect the problem is with the A/C switch itself sitcking in one position or the other.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What settings should allow for the A/C switch to be turned off, or should it be able go on and off on demand?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts