Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Uber sexy euro time
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever i turn on the A/C in my zx3, it dies when it's at idle. While i'm driving down the road it's fine but it'll die whenever i come to a stop unless i keep it revved up. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Uber sexy euro time
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
*Bump* Anyone?

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Your ac compressor pulley/compressor itself may be seizing up and putting to much strain on the engine(slowing it down to the point of stall)

The ac pulley has a built in clutch the pulley will freespin until the clutch is activated to engage the Compressor to start pumping

I had a similar problem on my 90 Aerostar until revving it eventually blew out the clutch clean off the compressor ( it just freespins now and I have no AC LOL)

·
Registered
87 Posts
It could also be a idle air control motor problem. When you turn the A/C on, the idle is supposed to raise a few hundred rpm's. The extra load coming from the A/c could be killing the engine. If the idle does not go up when you turn the air on, I would look there.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Just talked to the a/c guy here at work...is the a/c still blowing cold? If NOT, then the compressor is locking up.

If it still blowing cold, its a driveability concern. The idle control motor is probably the culprit. Try tapping on it with something and see if it does anything to the idle...may be too much carbon build up inside of it. Try that and see what happens. I have one in my tool box at work if you want it.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Oh yeah, if the idle control valve doesn't seem to do anything, check for vaccum hoses that are crushed or squished. The ones on the back of the intake manifold are notorious for collapsing on themselves.

·
Dragon Warrior
309 Posts
mine does this too but not all the time. it is nothing so i do not worry about it. I just restart the car. I even have it happen (very rarely like once or twice a year in summer only) while the AC is not on.

I wouldn't worry about it. just heat soak combined the Idle air control motor lagging behind. I complained to Ford when I first got the car and they could not find anything wrong.
you can try doing the Big 3 upgrade to smooth out a lot of the engine functions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts