Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in June my car just barely survived a tornado, before that my A/C was on the way out (wasn't blowing as cold), but since then my A/C hasn't been working at all.

I went to go put a can of refrigerant in there on a 95 degree day, had the A/C on full blast and the pressure fluctuated between 55psi and 0. It would charge up to 55psi make a "pfftt!" sound then go to 0 and then repeat. [???:)]

I've read the sticky but I didn't find any info about this. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Probably leaked out. Take it to a shop and have them vacuum the system and recharge it. Also have them do a leak test to see if it is a bad leak or slow leak.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Because you have a leak. You never got below 55 psi with the compressor running because the poor compressor doesn't have any oil in it. It won't compress the refrigerant that's in there without oil- oil helps the compressor seal up, and lubricates it's parts. Without oil you get poor compression which translates into poor cooling and no lubrication which translates into extra heat in the refrigerant + compressor death.

Check the hose fittings for signs of oil and dye in case you have a bad hose. Check the condenser for signs of oil/dye leaks. Replace the O-rings and orifice tube, and any damaged hoses. You can have new hose ends put on hoses if you find that one of those is leaking, but you'll have to call around to places that do hydraulic hoses to see if someone can manage AC lines. Typically they can if your metal fitting isn't damaged. NAPA used to sell metal fittings, and crimp AC hoses. I'm not sure any more.

Do all that, vacuum the system correctly for 30 mins, and then wait for 30 mins to see if it loses vacuum on the gauge. That will tell you if you still have a leak. If not, then recharge using compressed oil cans- check the back for the fluid capacity- and cans of refrigerant. Add at least half the oil- if not all- first. Do not use anything with STOP LEAK. Stop leak stops your compressor, and gums up the other parts if you have a leak in the future.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Because you have a leak. You never got below 55 psi with the compressor running because the poor compressor doesn't have any oil in it. It won't compress the refrigerant that's in there without oil- oil helps the compressor seal up, and lubricates it's parts. Without oil you get poor compression which translates into poor cooling and no lubrication which translates into extra heat in the refrigerant + compressor death.

Check the hose fittings for signs of oil and dye in case you have a bad hose. Check the condenser for signs of oil/dye leaks. Replace the O-rings and orifice tube, and any damaged hoses. You can have new hose ends put on hoses if you find that one of those is leaking, but you'll have to call around to places that do hydraulic hoses to see if someone can manage AC lines. Typically they can if your metal fitting isn't damaged. NAPA used to sell metal fittings, and crimp AC hoses. I'm not sure any more.

Do all that, vacuum the system correctly for 30 mins, and then wait for 30 mins to see if it loses vacuum on the gauge. That will tell you if you still have a leak. If not, then recharge using compressed oil cans- check the back for the fluid capacity- and cans of refrigerant. Add at least half the oil- if not all- first. Do not use anything with STOP LEAK. Stop leak stops your compressor, and gums up the other parts if you have a leak in the future.
Thanks! I'll have to read up more about it in the sticky and then take a look at it when i get the chance. I have to fix a couple of other things that are in need of more attention first... i think the o rings went bad on the power steering box at the bottom of the steering column, the thing is leaking like a sieve. [facepalm]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts