Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried to find the A/C drain on the firewall of my 2005 Focus and can't. Can anybody give me a picture of the drain hose location? I am hoping that mine is plugged, otherwise I have bigger problems than I thought. Front passenger floorboard is soaking wet from what I am hoping is a backed up A/C drain.
TIA
Steve

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and I don't want to have to take it to the dealer to get this fixed if I can avoid it, since with 39,500 miles on it, I am out of warranty.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
I'm not 100% sure if this has to do with the 2005's but it was a very common problem on the previous models.

Every single time I've ever heard of anyone talking about the 'water on the passenger floor' issue, it had to do with the above issue. Sorry I can't help ya any more with this.

Keep in mind though, Ford never installed the cabin air filters on alot of the vehicles so because your manual says you don't have one may be correct but there may be a place for it causing the moisture problem. Just a thought but maybe some of the 2005+ guys can help ya out as i'm more versed in the 2000-2004 focus.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I had earlier done the search and read all the posts about the TSB for wet floors, but when I checked the Haynes manual it specifically says that the '05 does not have the cabin air filter. Maybe they said the hell with it after all the trouble it was causing and did away with it, I don't know. All I know is that I did not have this problem until just recently. The floor dries out until I start the A/C back up, then it gets wet again.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
The air handeling case did not change for the US 05. The new case is in the C1.

·
1fastfocus05
1,592 Posts
anytime ive ever seen water on the pass side floor it was a broken heater core leaking coolant back into the cab ,,let me ask u this,,does the a/c blow cold air? if so then its ure heater core without a doubt

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"does the a/c blow cold air? if so then its ure heater core without a doubt"

Why do you say this? If the case/drip tray for the evaporator was cracked and leaking, you would get the A/C condensate running into the car, rather than out the drain, and you would be getting cold air from the A/C.

In fact, there was at least one case on this board where the case surrounding the evaporator was cracked, and leaking condensate into the passenger side.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/...=12&highlight=water cracked case&pagenumber=2

·
Registered
157 Posts
Although I can't crawl underneath, my wife just got home in our focus, and it looks like the drain drips pretty much from the centerline of the car. Don't know if that really helps you at all.

·
1fastfocus05
1,592 Posts
u still did not say if it is blowing cold or not...if its still blowing cold then nothings wrong with the a/c parts,,,i dont know about this drip pan thing...could be that...never seen it happen...i would not think that this so called drip pan would just break and leak...i dont know,,,i work on trucks...but people in here are acting like theres no way its the heater core...has no one ever had a broken heater core? what happens when one breaks? water on pass side floor..so stop acting like im stupid....maybe i should not have said without a doubt...but it was like 2 am when i wrote that....anyways...is it blowing cold or not? if so check ure coolant level...smell the fluid ure finding on ure floor...if it just smells like water...(no smell) then these guys are probably right...if it smells like coolant then its the heater core...im almost sure u would smell freon if it was leaking into the car and the a/c would not take long before it stoped working...let me know whats going on,,thanks man

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"water on pass side floor..so stop acting like im stupid..."

It could be the heater core, but, as you say, it is only one of several possibilites. So, as you say, one should check the liquid to see what it is.

Coolant will be slippery if you rub it between your finger tips, water condensing off the A/V evaporator and leaking through a cracked housing will not.

If "freon" was leaking into the car, it would not be a liquid, as it turns to gas almost immediately at atmospheric pressure. However, it is possible that a major freon leak could leave an oily residue, since there can be some compressor oil circulating in the system. But this would be a quite small amount and typically only seen as a residue within an inch or so of the leak.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Although I can't crawl underneath, my wife just got home in our focus, and it looks like the drain drips pretty much from the centerline of the car. Don't know if that really helps you at all.
Sorry for taking 3 YEARS to reply.

Yes, your post helped. I found the drain. First I tried pushing a wire up it to clear any blockage. Then I used my compressor to blow air up it. Neither worked. I just kept the floor clear and let it drip. It stopped once it cooled off outside and I started running the heater. It never came back the following years. I can only assume it was something inside blocking the drain which decomposed over the winter and unblocked the drain.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I would check the seal around the cowl on the passenger's side of the windshield. This is a common occurence on older Foci. This happened to my car once. If you happen to leave your car parked at an agle and it rains, the water will come right in. I put clear silicone on the cowl to seal it up and it never came back in. I even put up pictures on this forum showing how the water got in, but that was years ago.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Old post......but the problem could still be there for some people.

The drain hose is hard to see, but it's right at the firewall on the passenger side. Blowing compressed air through it might clean out a clog...if that's the problem.

The '05-'07 USA models don't have a cabin filter......but the opening to the heating/cooling system is under the cowl on the passenger side. However.....these new cowls have a deflector shield built-in. So if the seal at the cowl/windshield is broken, it would still be almost impossible for rain-water to get into the air intake under the cowl.

Leaking heater core.....not very common apparently, and you most always can smell it. The puddle on the floor/carpet feels greasy, and your coolant level goes down.

IMO most leaking on the floor problems are caused by a clogged drain hose.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts