Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Yesterday, I had my A/C system serviced; it wasn't blowing cold air anymore, so I took it to the dealer. They'd put dye in the system when they recharged the A/C at the beginning of summer, and they said it had leaked out of the compressor clutch. To make a long story short, I had to spring for a new A/C compressor, plus installation.

I have a few questions. One how long to the A/C compressors normally last on the Focus? Why would it go out at JUST 78K miles?! Why would it have gone out so soon? Would my past, spirited driving have contributed to the compressor's demise (excessive rpm)?

I'm curious. If my car had had 178K miles, that would have been one thing; I would have been bummed, but happy the part had lasted that long. But, for the A/C compressor to break @ 78K?![80?] WTF?![rant] What else can I expect to go wrong on my car? What other, non-consumable item (not tires, belts, hoses, shocks, struts, or anything else that wears out and requires periodic replacement) will break?! If THIS is what I can look forward to, I WILL by foreign next time...

MarkM228

·
Registered
0 Posts
I had my AC Compressor go out at 15K miles on my '07. Still a little bit tiff'd with Ford on that but it got repaired under warranty thanks to Steve aka Gone4x4 so I'm ok now, still has a thump thump thump sound for some odd reason but hey it's working now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, my car was out of warranty. The original warranty was 3yr/36k miles; I had that extended by 3 yr/36k miles, which put the warranty end @ 6 yr/72K miles. Last time I checked, 78K>72K, so it was out of warranty... :(

·
Registered
100 Posts
I worked on a/c on my 2003 mine was leaking around the clutch also..also you still should take it back they may have not put enough oil in the system... or if they just replaced the clutch it may not have been installed right...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts