Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

My airconditioner is affecting my car revs. It's generally ok when the a/c is on and fan set to #1 or 2. But when I crank the fan to #3 or #4 (in the Aussie heat) it will affect my idle revs. The revs keep dropping, and then "bouncing" just before stall.

It's mostly ok when actually driving, and nothing noticeable while accelerating or travelling steadily. But when I clutch to come to a stop, the same thing happens with the revs dropping right down to almost stall, and then "bouncing".

Please help! I've just dropped too many $$ on a gearbox overhaul and clutch replacement as it is!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Not sure what engine you'd have down there in an '06, for us it's be a mechanical throttle "duratec" 2.0 (twin cam chain drive) that has an IAC valve to adjust throttle at idle.

Two things I can think of for checking, look at it from under the hood to see if the idle drop coincides with the A/C compressor kicking in (IAC should compensate quickly). And see if the IAC gives you the normal high RPM on a cold start - to see if it's working at all.

Normally compensates for other extra loads as well, such as from the alternator & steering pushed to the lock.

Slow reacting might be helped by cleaning, worth a try B4 throwing parts at it.

All this assumes the A/C is working properly & not putting an unusual load on the engine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts