Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i got this car and it came with the aerial broken at base as in pics.
what i wann know is can i drill then reverse tap the bit in the base(is that bit there from the aerial) or is that bit part of the base so it cant be removed.

if so(needs new base) i take off the light from inside to gain access,
what are these black clips ppl say break easy when removing the fascia, how do you remove without damage,
also is there an aerial cable that disconnects from the base or will a new base come with an bit which the original cable plugs into? i dont want to have to run cabling down the sides and remove more pannels

cheers

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
Over here in the states the antenna (aerial) is actually the female side of the setup, the threads you see there are part of the base not the antenna.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
A replacement base shouldn't be that expensive from either a dealer or a breaker yard. I would probably try the breaker yard first, since they tend to be the least expensive option. But other than that ... replacing it should be a snap.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You can get the base from a dealer for very, very cheap. I can't remember what the cost was on mine, but it was insignificant and swapping out the base is as simple as popping off the dome light and removing one screw.

It's extremely easy, you can't mess it up if you try.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Don't forget guys, this member is overseas in the UK. I don't know how easy it is to find breaker yards (that's what the Brits at least call a junk yard) ...

But yeah the actual install is a cake walk, I did it in my 02 ZX3 in like 15m

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cheers for the replies,
that link to the photos is helpful,
i just wanted to check in case i did need a new wire being run to the back of the unit, nut from what is said above the cable detaches from the base,
only trouble is i have to wait a month before i can do it, all my tools are at home and im at uni atm.
seen new bases on ebay for like £8 so its not that bad of a price

cheers

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
also, i have a manual sun roof, i take it i need to unscrew the handle and disconnect some sort of cabling?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Not really sure about the manual sunroof issue. You'll probably need to talk to someone that has one. Or just do a little trial and error to find out.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I would imagine it might be. Hard to say without having a Hanes in front of me of course. But it does sound like something that they would include. Hanes is great about that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
done it now,
bloody hard work getting the fascia off, sliding it back and across, took like 10mins to figure out that it had to come sideways aswell,
with the sunroof, all you need to do is remove the handle, requires the t25 torx bit (same as the aerial base)

cheers for all ur help

1 - 13 of 13 Posts