Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so my brother has a 97' 16v zetec engine but we cant find any upgrades for it! Any ideas or help?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol its in a ford contour I know its not a focus

·
Registered
41 Posts
Either contact McNews or check out burtonpower.com. I believe Contour Zetecs had hydraulic tappets unlike the mechanical ones on Focuses. Burtonpower is in U.K. and does sell camshafts, valve springs, and PP heads for the early Zetecs.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
There are enough similarities between the early and later Zetecs that some of the parts built for the Focus will work on the older Contour and ZX2 Zetecs...I'm just not sure which ones will work, at least not clearly enough to say "go ahead and buy [insert item here] and it'll work."

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I didnt see much on McNews and burtonpower.com has been offline for a long time now So do yall have anymore suggestions?

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
i've got a quick question, would the stock header and cat from an 02 focus zetec fit on a 97 zetec in a contour? because i kinda blew up my brothers contour (the cat got clogged while drive it REALLY hard ) so i promised i'd fix it. i'm buying a focus sports header for my car so if i can reuse my old parts that'd save em a bundle

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
focus_racer19 said:
well I didnt see much on McNews and burtonpower.com has been offline for a long time now So do yall have anymore suggestions?
Mcnewsautomotive.com right?? They have almost everything you would ever want for a zetec. Try giving them a call...What are you looking for?

Swift DB4...I just noticed what you have.. Nice ride, I almost bought an elan about a year ago, but I wimped out and kept the miata

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
jaimz22 said:
i've got a quick question, would the stock header and cat from an 02 focus zetec fit on a 97 zetec in a contour? because i kinda blew up my brothers contour (the cat got clogged while drive it REALLY hard ) so i promised i'd fix it. i'm buying a focus sports header for my car so if i can reuse my old parts that'd save em a bundle
I would think an exhaust header would fit...unless there was a change in the bolt pattern between the Contour/ZX2 Zetecs and the Focus Zetec. You might run into trouble with the cat, the exit pipe coming out could be too long or too short or use a different style flange, but that could be remedied with a welder and some extra pipe. I would think the biggest concern is going to be the bolt pattern between the header and head.

Best way to find out would be take off the Contour header and see if the bolt holes line up with the Focus header. You could probably do some minor slotting, but if there's any major difference between the two I wouldn't try it.

*edit*

I just went on www.contour.org, and one of the few threads in their Zetec Performance section states that a Focus SVT header is a direct bolt-on for the Contour Zetec. So the answer is yes, your stock header will work on the Contour Zetec...I wouldn't be surprised if its the same exact header.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Or call auto parts store and see if the exhaust manifold gasket has the same part number on both cars.

·
Banned
34 Posts
jaimz22 said:
The header will bolt up, but the pipes will not line where they connect to the exhaust. For performance parts bewteen the engines. The internal parts for all Zetecs are the same! Except for the cams for the Zetec's that have "VCT".

Go to this website, they have plenty of parts for Focus, ZX2's, Contour, and Cougar's

www.zxtuner.com

U can use a Focus short ram intake for a contour.

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
i'm not too worried abotu the intake, the cat is plugged up so i didn't want to BUY an new one or used one for that much, if i already have one that is.

what happened is that the cat got totally plugged so there was 100% back pressure no exhaust leaving the cylinders on the exhaust stroke, so all the exhast was flowing out through the intake valves and then blowing out of the intake LMAO it was the oddest damn thing i'd ever seen!

so that needs fixed :p by buddy and i bought the busted car from my brother for $100 just before he went back to iraq so we're going to fix it up they way he wanted too and give it to him when he gets home.

·
Banned
34 Posts
just remove the cat, and unclog it. Take a steal bar or pipe, and ram it through the honeycomb material in the cat, till it all fall to pieces out of the pipe,

·
Registered
38 Posts
the focus stuff will bolt up with minor slotting/ bolt hole enlarging..
and the down pipe should be a close fit.. it's been a while since i've seen a contour, but I used to have one.. practically the same thing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts