Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't my car, this car belongs to a friend who insisted on doing the work himself without ever having so much as performed an oil change. I need to fix his car tomorrow because I can't stand him having my car anymore.

A few months ago, he needed a replacement radiator cap. Instead of replacing it and the faulty water pump, he removed the thermostat and would drive it until overheat (within three minutes, typically) before pulling over and refilling the radiator: NO.

He blew his head gasket and insisted on replacing it himself (NO). After that, it lagged like crazy, had some minor misfiring and wouldn't start without stepping on the gas pedal.

I come to find out that his sparks plugs are bad and he needs a valve adjustment. I tell him to do both. He does the adjustment himself, wouldn't wait for me to get back from dropping my buddy off work, now the misfire is horrific. Horrific. It sounds like someone is in there beating that engine with a baseball bat unless I'm accelerating in 2-3 gear or idling. Cylinder 3 spark plug completely burnt. Engine overheats when idling. The most frightening drive I have had in my life.

I have been unable to look at it but I need to fix it. Obviously, I have to redo his valve adjustment and change his spark plugs but I fear for the worst. Any ideas or input would be appreciated. He has ignored every troubleshoot I've done with him and I'm putting an end to it ASAP.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He looked it up online and started removingeverything and put it on the dirt. Broke some stuff off. Put liquid head gasket maker, maker, maker, on his head gasket and installed it. I almost literally caught fire I was so angry with him for it. Lord knows what else he screwed up. In addition, he only put one lug nut on the wheels which explains the some of the sound. Homicidal maniac.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just now found out about the wheel. I'm on fire right now help. I'm going to peel the engine apart for a good look because the head gasket blew again. If you have any ideas regarding stupid and typically overlooked crap, do share. I am seriously hoping the head ain't warped.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
At this point I'd be looking at motors out of a junk yard. Most honda motors are interference and by some of the descriptive words you used to describe it running, sounds like it probably bent some valves or something.

At this point I would slowly walk away....or run, running would probably be the better option.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol well surprisingly, when I saw the head during the last change, I didn't see any real damage. The valves, on the other hand, I'm unsure of.

Assuming that there is little to no warpage and the valves are kind of ok, if I replace this dude's head gasket the right way myself without his interference, I'm wondering... Would it last a bit?

I think it would be a miracle if the block isn't warped but maybe if I do the job and find each dumb little problem, he'll be forced to listen... And he blew out my battery.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
This thread may be what you need right now:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=520577

Titled "Some people shouldn't own cars".

'Fraid you're right where you figure, start at the beginning to correct everything you can find wrong as it goes back together again unless you find something 'tragic' broken as you go.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would it surprise you if I said I ran into that a couple of months ago with a jeep? Both cooler lines were broken and they refilled it with Atf and motor oil whenever it broke down to correct it. I went to look and found severe overfill, literally a couple of mm worth of oil pileup under the engine all down the undercarriage and I dropped the transmission pan to drain it to ghetto-correct the jeep because they insisted I make it driveable to get to their house rather than letting me replace the lines first.

And the argument I had with the guy at O'Reilly who insisted that Jeeps only have one xmission cooling line. Like, agreed with me, word for word, when I said "so you're saying that there is only one trans cooler line and it functions as both the intake and return line...?". That's not even physics. I don't even...

And the jeep caught fire before I could go fix it for them. They insisted on driving it. Yep.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They put like, two quarts of each in it every other week. I almost threw up.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But hey the jeep made it back I got it off the street lol

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Little did I know the story was so appropriate!

One cooler line - sure, that'll work.

Only if he was referring to the cooler itself, and it was the type consisting of a single zig zag tube.

·
Registered
2003 ZX3
93 Posts
Definately sounds like a timing issue. The 97 TL has the F22 SOHC Vtec right? When he did everything, did he line up ALL the timing markings? The "up" side of the cam gear and the white marking on the crank pulley? Another question that came to my mind, when he replaced the head gasket, did he have the head milled or at least LOOKED at by a machine shop to make sure it was still flat? The F22 is a steel closed deck block so it's probably fine (assuming the valves didn't fall, it IS an interference engine as someone mentioned) but the head is aluminum and MAY have warped with all the overheating. Like someone else mentioned, MAY be used engine time. Engines for that car should be pretty plentiful and cheap. Any 5th or 6th gen accord or TL or CL of the same years should work (I'm assuming it's a 4cyl.) If it's the C30 or whatever the 6 cyl is, get rid of it all together.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@sailor
I was arguing with this dude for ten minutes to seriously figure out whether or not I was mad but he insisted that the trans cooling line was not two lines but one line that leaves the tranny, goes through the radiator and empties back into the tranny. I've worked on some pretty sophisticated cooling systems but to be able to cool transmission fluid THROUGH the hose...? Uhm. Uh. No?

@Robby, he's got the F22 but I need to inspect the head myself because homie doesn't seem to even physics or anything. I am still at a loss for words that he did not even put his tire on right.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
You always have the option of walking away and not claiming that you don't know that person lol Also being a F22 you can't walk around a junk yard without stubbing your toe on one of those, hence why they require you don't wear open toe shoes at a junk yard lol

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I scoped out the local junkyard a few weeks ago while I was looking for a grille for his ride and lo and behold, untouched CL, same year, make and model. Only diff was the spoiler on the back and military discount is 25% so he's in luck if he needs new parts haha and yeah that probably WAS an F22 I almost tripped over!

·
Registered
321 Posts
@sailor
I was arguing with this dude for ten minutes to seriously figure out whether or not I was mad but he insisted that the trans cooling line was not two lines but one line that leaves the tranny, goes through the radiator and empties back into the tranny. I've worked on some pretty sophisticated cooling systems but to be able to cool transmission fluid THROUGH the hose...? Uhm. Uh. No?
Well, you'll be amazed with some of the more ingenious designs out there. Land Rovers are known to cool gearboxes with just a looped pipe ! Here's a pic used on the R380 gearbox -

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"Same year, make and model" it's freakin late forgive me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@Polygon holy d*ck but that looks like a real ordeal to replace! Then again, if you have the money to drop on one of those then who cares, right?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In fact, I found later that homie from O'Reilly who I reserved the part with anyway because why not had reserved me a nice, fresh new upper radiator hose =.=

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Ugh - wrong pieces.

The dude's right in that it's a single circuit, but that consists of multiple parts. Lines to & from the radiator in that style, and the line inside the radiator itself that isn't a separately avail. part. It's like considering the upper & lower rad. hoses & the radiator as a unit, even though not sold that way.

I've seen coolers like Polygon posted, replaced one for a friend on a FWD Monte Carlo that came as a unit with hoses & cooler metal piping loop combined. It was a real pain to replace, as the original installation was obviously before the suspension & front end bodywork was installed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts