Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just to let you know this race thread IMO will be of the lamest interest to anyone but bear with me and tell me what you think
SO my buddy wants to race

His Car: 1997 Honda Accord Atx 2.2L Sohc non-vtec which im sure is the
F22b2
Specifications
Bore × Stroke: 85.0 × 95.0 mm
Displacement: 2156 cc
Valve Configuration: SOHC, 16 valves
Compression ratio: 8.8:1
Max power: 130 hp (97 kW) @ 5300 rpm
Max torque: 139 ft·lbf (188 N m) @ 4200 rpm
Engine Mods Cold air intake-Straight pipe exahust
Curb Weight: 2855 lbs.
Driver Weight-275

My Car
2003 Zx3 Atx 2.0L Zetec DOHC
Horsepower (stock)130hp @ 5300 rpm
Torque (stock)135f/p @ 4500 rpm
Compression Ratio9.6:1
Engine mods-AEM CAI, Copper Plugs .60 gap,4-2-1 header (no tune :-( ),Cherry Bomb 2inch muffler
Curb Weight: 2598 lbs.
Driver Weight: 210

SO:
FOCUS:322lb weight Advantage with drivers in the cars
Higher Compression

ACCORD: delivers peak torque 300 rpm before the FOCUS
Accord SOHC Non-Vtec with 2.2L(2156)
Harder shifting tranny

So with little criticism please lol wouldnt a DOHC with the same power as a SOHC deliver the power better during acceleration? or No? or similar due to the accord having a slightly larger displacement of 2156-1998=158

so whos gonna win people?

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
You'll win.

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
I think it will be close, the focus' main defense against Honda is Tq and he exceeds yours.

If your a good driver, you might pull it off.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it will be close, the focus' main defense against Honda is Tq and he exceeds yours.

If your a good driver, you might pull it off.

so a good str8 line driver with a ATX
should i do anything besides stomp the gas ? lol
i've read on here from anywhere to 3/4 pedal supression will provide the best launch to keep the ECU from going into a slight protection mode?
ive read not to do the 1-2-then drive cause the car will naturally shift at an allowed higher rpms (6000) then doing it 1-2-drive

tell me please?

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
^^ yeah take any weight out you can. Those seakers, spare tire and jack should be right around 100lbs. you could also take out the misc carpeting in the trunk and the rear seat.

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
If your automatic I dont think your gonna win, the ATX in stock form is not a good racing tool.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If your automatic I dont think your gonna win, the ATX in stock form is not a good racing tool.
we're both automatic so i figured drivetrain loss is gonna be similar too
but like i said these particular accords shift unnaturally hard compared to other ATX's ive driven in

Quoted from Wikipedia: "the 4-speed automatic transmission, noted for its hard shifts, now included a "Grade-Logic" shift program."

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
If you can master your launch, then I think you will win... I beat my buddys auto 5.0, but I have a shift tune, 45mph=1-2nd 80 mph 2-3rd... Good luck!

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
I have an auto. I raced a manuel from a certain speed in 3rd and we stayed in one gear and 20mph later I had half a car on him. There was no driver error we both simply pressed down the pedal.

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
^^
The difference with your race is gearing, the MTX was more than likely at a lower RPM and it would of took longer to get to a proper power range. Keeping the cars in the same gear and stomping it is not a good measure if the gearing is diffrent.

I have driven a 97 accord ATX with the f22 motor (friend owned it at the time) and it was pretty fast. I have also driven a stock ATX Zetec, now it was a large time difference between each joyrides BUT if i remember correctly the Honda was faster.

All I'm saying is neither tranny was made to race but the Honda's performed better, and in the end of it all the transmission is what puts the power down.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All I'm saying is neither tranny was made to race but the Honda's performed better, and in the end of it all the transmission is what puts the power down.
yeah i kno how his tranny shifts thats all im worried about i guess

I am a frustrated focus owner when it comes to my low end power,but when it comes to the Turns im like *Poof* be Gone

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
The manual i raced has better gearing than me. I have 4 and he has 5. If anything I was in the lower rpm's. I still can't figure out how the hell I won.

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
Just b/c the MTX has one more gear does not mean it has better gearing, when I say gearing I mean the length of the gear. It can't be possible that if you could keep it in third gear and floor it at the same time that it would stay in third. The ATX in the focus has 1. 2. D(third gear). and O/D (fourth gear), the way this works is if you put it on 1 it will not shift out of it, same for 2 BUT D when floored will down shift to what ever gear the ECU sees fit.

Also depending on the speed started at 3rd on the MTX may not be a good start, my third gear pulls best from about 60 to somewhere near 74 below that speed its a crawl.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
I had O/D off so I was already in third. 70-90. Isn't the top of the manual's 3rd around 90ish? I can go 105 and still be in 3rd gear, but when i turn O/D off it shifts into 4th.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had O/D off so I was already in third. 70-90. Isn't the top of the manual's 3rd around 90ish? I can go 105 and still be in 3rd gear, but when i turn O/D off it shifts into 4th.
that seems wrong to me no offense but let me explain on my car
with my O/D off it wont allow me past 70ish because it hits peak rpm then makes a loud pop from the Head of the exhaust if i try more than 70-75mph then turn O/D on
basically top of third when i floor it isnt more than 75MPH before i have to turn O/D to go into 4th

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
As far as the manual then I have no clue. Maybe he shifted and I both missed it and didn't hear it. Thats odd. Next time I see the guy i'm going to ask to get a ride.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 37 Posts