Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody help me? I have a 02 Focus 1.6 zetec and occasionaly the engine warning light flickers on. I have managed to get the fault code off the diagnostics which is 9318, so I looked up the meaning which says "battery voltage low". I have since checked my battery on a dvm (12.5v) and with a drop tester (holds charge no problem). So I am a bit baffled! does anybody know if there is another meaning for fault code 9318? because surely if the battery voltage was low then the red battery warning light would come. Although the battery theory kind of adds up because I have only ever had this light come on in early the morning usually on a monday, (i.e. when the car has just been left standing for a long period of time) and it will go off if I give the engine some rev's. Any help, advice or explanations would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Did you get a real code using a OBD-II code reader, or are you refering to the Odometer trick? If it is a code from the odometer trick, it is worthless.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
i had the same thing happen to me man. one day i was driving fine and the check engine light came on and i was like ohhh crap. when i found out what the code was i was confused. so i realized that my batery was over 4 years old, so i changed the battery and it was good. is ur battery new?

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
andyandlexi said:
Yeah it was the odometer trick, how do you mean it is worthless, surely it is referring to something.
Yes, but its a code that's specific to Ford, not a universal DTC code. You have to pull those through the OBD-II port, or whatever the European equivalent is.

First, figure out whats wrong and get a mechanic or dealer to pull any DTC codes. Here in the 'states, most of the chain auto parts stores offer free CEL scans, I'm sure the ones over there offer a similar service. If it turns out that you indeed have a problem with the battery, check it after the car's been sitting for a while, its possible the battery's on its way out and takes a few days to discharge enough to trip a CEL. If your battery is putting out the correct voltage, I'd backtrack to the terminal, wiring, grounding points and alternator. You might just need to clean the terminal contacts, or you could have a loose sensor wire at the alternator. There's a lot that could be going on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nov173 said:
i had the same thing happen to me man. one day i was driving fine and the check engine light came on and i was like ohhh crap. when i found out what the code was i was confused. so i realized that my batery was over 4 years old, so i changed the battery and it was good. is ur battery new?
Hi, so are you saying although my battery checks out ok, that could still be the problem?
Did it cure the problem with yours? the battery doesn't look too old but I suppose it's hard to say, all my earthing points and connections are tight and free from corrosion/ rust.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
well at the time i didn't have a volt meter to see what was going on and i new the battery was old, so i just figured that i should change it. but now i have a volt meter to see whats going on and everything worked out for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts