Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually put 87 octane in my car, but last week when I went to go fill up the gas station only had 93 octane. So I filled up with 93, and I noticed a change in my gas mileage. I usually get about 24mpg, but with the 93 octane I got 29 mpg. Now my question is does 93 octane give you better gas mileage or is it that I was just driving different and got better mileage.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Higher octane does not do anything for your car. The differences between the octanes is that the higher the number the slower it burns. Since your engine is not high compression it only needs 87 octane. The higher compression engines need the fuel to burn slower so it does cause detonation. Stick with what the factory tells you, save your money and keep putting 87 in.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Putting higher octane in your car can cause knocking because it burns slower and your car's compression, as mentioned, was not designed for it. Stay with 87... Don't waste your money with already high gas prices...

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
It's not bad for your car, but it's a waste.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
higher can cause knocking never heard that before I know if you have slight valve knock you can go higher and sometimes get rid of the knock usually associated with timing I agree you should just use the 87 though

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
i use 91!! well i have a tune. i guess it just makes me feel better that im puting "good" or "better"gas.

the diff is the same as when u wash your car do u feel it runs faster? [screwy]

·
DTF
3,981 Posts
i have to use 93 cause of my tune... oh well. i also have tunes for 100 octane but i havent played with those yet.

·
Registered
464 Posts
i feel it run faster after i wash my car.........ahem............cause of uhhhhh the uhhhhhh dirt particles arent on my car and its more airodynamic. or however you spell that word. but eye dunt no haaow too speelll en inglish

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
well, i thought it went faster cuz you removed the weight of the dirt from your car.

where is everyone getting 93 oct from? all i ever see is 87, 89, and 91.

·
Registered
859 Posts
nuttypet said:
I usually put 87 octane in my car, but last week when I went to go fill up the gas station only had 93 octane. So I filled up with 93, and I noticed a change in my gas mileage. I usually get about 24mpg, but with the 93 octane I got 29 mpg. Now my question is does 93 octane give you better gas mileage or is it that I was just driving different and got better mileage.
How are you determining your MPG?

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
You will get better gas milage with a higher octane.... bottom line... I have done it and went off a full tank for almost 75 more miles than with the lower octane but stick with the reccomended octane rating.

·
☼
7,494 Posts
:)

Sharon, do you have any proof? There is no reason why you should be getting better gas mileage when your car isn't tuned, other than your driving habits.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
after katrina during the gas shortage in the south and having to wait in line for 1.5 hrs to get gas they ran out of 87 so i had to use 93 and my car ran like ass and smelt like gas. it was horriable

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
sharon5384 said:
You will get better gas milage with a higher octane.... bottom line... I have done it and went off a full tank for almost 75 more miles than with the lower octane but stick with the reccomended octane rating.
That is un-possible. It just doesn't happen. Your ecu does not automatically adapt to different gas that you put in, in fact as others have mentioned that it is more harmful because you will cause your engine to knock. Knocking isn't good.

In terms of business, don't you think Ford would recommend 93 instead of 87 if it gave better gas milage, don't ya think that they would do this to sell more cars? They recommend a certain gas for a reason. If 93 is what they wanted, they woulda tuned the cars stock to run like that.

You want an explanation for this so called MPG improvement. It can be various reasons because in the real world there are so many variables that change gas milage. Air Temperature, driving habits, condition of engine, how many accessories we have going (windows up/down, ac,heat etc.) tire pressure, brand of gasoline used, blend of gasoline (summmer winter), where you are going (highway vs city) the list goes on and on.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Re: 87 octane Vs. 93 octane

EricR said:
How are you determining your MPG?
When I fill up, I divide the number of miles I drove with the amount of gas I put in.... 262miles divided by 9.12 gallons= 28.72MPG

·
Registered
859 Posts
Re: Re: Re: 87 octane Vs. 93 octane

nuttypet said:
When I fill up, I divide the number of miles I drove with the amount of gas I put in.... 262miles divided by 9.12 gallons= 28.72MPG
[thumb]

1 - 20 of 66 Posts