Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making yet another thread-based post containing more research I've done, this one based on speed limits and speed enforcement in general. This post here between Infra and Sunshine illustrates the point very well.

I'll quote the article to start it off -- it's a good read:

Speed limits should represent the maximum safe and reasonable speed on a highway during good traffic and roadway conditions capable of being traveled by the normally competent vehicle operator in a typical motor vehicle. Traffic engineering studies have found that the best way to ascertain the appropriate speed limit is to survey the speeds of free flowing traffic. The speed at which 85% to 90% of the vehicles are traveling at or below has generally been determined to be a limit which minimizes accident risk and maximizes motorist compliance. It blends an optimum combination of efficiency, consensus, enforceability, and safety.

Current statutorily assigned speed limits are characteristically inflexible and based on general approximations or political considerations. The result is that speed limits have become largely irrelevant as a source of guidance to motorists and impractical as a threshold for enforcement purposes.
http://www.ibiblio.org/rdu/nma-zone.html

All that being said, who here thinks speed limits are reasonable as they are?

·
Registered
816 Posts
I'm sure that depends on where you live. I'm originally from Minnesota, and the speed limits are generally higher there. The limit on freeways in Iowa is 65, and in Minnesota, it is 70. Personally, I think most people can handle driving faster than 70 on the interstate. There are, however, people that shouldn't be allowed on the road at any speed. Overall, I think the speed limits are fairly reasonable. Could they probably stand to be a little higher, yes. Would it be worth it to be able to 80 on the interstate if people would abuse that even more and possibly cause more accidents, no. If you followed what is said in the article about how fast 85 - 90% of the people are going around here, you would probably end up with speed limits of about 75 - 80.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Speed limits vary here. Some areas on the interstate are 70, some are 65, 60 and 55. Depending upon the area. I will say that very few people follow the speed limits when going with the flow of traffic here. Those that do are in the very far right lane. With that said I believe the speed limits are fairly reasonable. Making them higher would only cause a increase in speeding. I believe.

As a driver how many times to you pay attention to the speed limit signs? I dont know about you all but it took me some time making this a habit. lol [;)]

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
I think the speed limits around my area should be raised a little. But it doesn't matter cause half the people never do the speed limit or over around here. It's always 10 mph or more under. So you see, I will never get a speeding ticket for following these people....

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
ibiblio said:
Exceeding statutory or posted speed limits are prima facie evidence of illegal speeding. Evidence entered on the defendant's behalf that proves to the court the defendant was not driving in an unsafe or irresponsible manner shall be considered a valid defense to justify dismissal of the speeding charge.
Does this mean that I can go to court & say "I have a sports car that handles & brakes well." & get out of a ticket?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Most cops on the higways in my experience don't enforce speed limits of 55-65 near as harshly, b/c they know that 90% of the people are going with the flow of traffic. Hence 70-75 is allowed. Except end of the month quota time
!![;)]

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
if people took pride in there driving, and followed all the other traffic laws, like not hanging in the left lane, proper use of signals, not crossing the gore to enter the hiway, and things like that, then the speed limit could be raised safely. Most people drive at the speed they are comfortable with. Just a few idiots who have to go 20 mph faster than every one else that causes problems. Personally I think the law should start ticketing other driving infractions that are far more dangerous than speeding. (speeding as in faster than posted, but safe with the traffic around them)

·
Registered
613 Posts
End of month quota time¿ People still believe these¿ I know many officers and have asked about this, they are all big city police, the little commonwealth "sub-cities" within San Antonio, they might have quotas, but they pull people over just for looking like they are on the wrong side of town, those tickets usually defered adjudication will be allowed, these small towns just want money, watch out for little town end of the months but I haven't heard confirmation from any police where I am, maybe they are lying to me....BASTARDS....I drive about 70, but
speed limits are almost all 65, till you get downtown....In bigger cities it's easier to get away even if you get a ticket....small towns you worry about....

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
vanace said:
if people took pride in there driving, and followed all the other traffic laws, like not hanging in the left lane, proper use of signals, not crossing the gore to enter the hiway, and things like that, then the speed limit could be raised safely. Most people drive at the speed they are comfortable with. Just a few idiots who have to go 20 mph faster than every one else that causes problems. Personally I think the law should start ticketing other driving infractions that are far more dangerous than speeding. (speeding as in faster than posted, but safe with the traffic around them)
Exactly![thumb]

·
Registered
75 Posts
ZX3_Chick said:
I think the speed limits around my area should be raised a little. But it doesn't matter cause half the people never do the speed limit or over around here. It's always 10 mph or more under. So you see, I will never get a speeding ticket for following these people....

if the spped limit were raised then people would drive faster, if the majority of the people are comfortable going 10mph over when its 65, if it were raised to 70,75,80 then people would still assume they have that 10mph "buffer" and drive faster. i guess im guilty of it as well, in a 55, i feel alright going 65 give or take, but when the limit goes to 65 i increase to 75 because i know "most" cops will leave you alone for up to 10 over. ok now im rambleing...[burnout]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts