Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone had any experience with using 80 watt bulbs in the newer (05-06) factory housings?

I recently bought a pair of "SPP Optics H11 80 Watt Superwhite" bulbs and my son brought up the possibility of causing damage to the housing or wiring with a higher wattage bulb. We installed one and left the fogs on for 10 minutes and the 80W does feel hotter which is verified by the infrared thermometer (though it's hard to get a consistent reading).

Has anyone else actually done this and knows for a fact if it will be okay or not? Thanks.

Additional: the original bulbs are 55 watt.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
They might not get hot enough in ten minutes. But if you drive with them on for a while, they will probably melt your wiring harnesses...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HÖEN offers both 70 and 80 watt H11 bulbs in combination with a heavier wire connection assembly for around $60 complete for the 05 Focus - just what I was looking for!

HÖEN is a brand I had not previously heard of but it was mentioned on the Forum, thanks Focus Fanatics!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.