Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of an amplifier that puts out 800 watt RMS (or close to) at 4 ohms?

Thanks! And +Rep will be given to answers!

·
Registered
97 Posts
define NEED. are you doing comp, or do you just want good bass?

if you already have an amp, i would hook that up first, and once you have everything sorted out, see if you want/need more. i think you'll be ok as long as you know the limits of the system and don't clip it and push it harder when it distorts.

i'll let someone with a deeper knowledge of car-specific applications get in here, my knowledge of amp/speaker combos is more on the PA/live sound side and probably does not apply here.

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
define NEED. are you doing comp, or do you just want good bass?

if you already have an amp, i would hook that up first, and once you have everything sorted out, see if you want/need more. i think you'll be ok as long as you know the limits of the system and don't clip it and push it harder when it distorts.

i'll let someone with a deeper knowledge of car-specific applications get in here, my knowledge of amp/speaker combos is more on the PA/live sound side and probably does not apply here.
I wont be doing competitions, but I do want some good bass. I already have the amp, but I just dont have those subs. I would like to get them tho. With the amp that I have, I could probably turn the gain up more tho. And since they can handle 800 watts RMS I should be fine... right?

·
Registered
213 Posts
As long as you don't max out the gain on your amp and make it clip you should be fine. As soon as you hear clipping, back it off a bit, otherwise you run the risk of overheating your subs and burning them out.

·
MW2 NE1?
1,612 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=#ht_4406wt_0

well worth the money, i purchased one and had this amp connected to 2 12" audiobahn amp 400W rms power subs. ima get 2 12" kickers solobaric subs 750W rms powered subs @ 2ohms. will be hitting 2xs harder than those audiobahns. nother thing ima do is get one more of these amps and have each one to each amp.. but that amp is good

·
Registered
459 Posts
You don't need 800WRMS to get good bass. I'm pushing less than half that and I'm satisfied, even with the wrong box for my Inifinity Kappa. This is just all my opinion, though.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I wont be doing competitions, but I do want some good bass. I already have the amp, but I just dont have those subs. I would like to get them tho. With the amp that I have, I could probably turn the gain up more tho. And since they can handle 800 watts RMS I should be fine... right?
Actually you shouldnt have to change the gains at all if they are already set correctly regardless of what subs you are running....gain is not used to adjust power output its there to match your voltage up with the rca outputs

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yes. 800 Watts RMS can be extremely loud especially in a focus. You need to look at amps very closely. There are multipul classes. Most amps are class AB. This means they don't actually produce the power they say they do. A 400 watt RMS class AB amp with the proper wiring only produces about 200-250 watts RMS. You want a Class D amplifier. They are more expensive but much much much more efficient. A 400 watt class D will produce between 350-400 watts with the proper wiring.

Don't by from Ebay because you won't have a warrenty and you never know exactly what you are getting.

The enclosure also makes a huge difference. A sealed is more quiet but often more clean. A properly tuned ported box can sound great and be very loud with minimal wattage.

Get something class D from a reputable dealer like crutchfield and install it with the proper wiring and you will have more than enough bass to make you happy.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,842 Posts
2000 watt rms... puts cracks in my trunk lol... breaks 500 dollar radar detectors and no matter what you do makes everything in a 1 mile radius shake lol :)

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes. 800 Watts RMS can be extremely loud especially in a focus. You need to look at amps very closely. There are multipul classes. Most amps are class AB. This means they don't actually produce the power they say they do. A 400 watt RMS class AB amp with the proper wiring only produces about 200-250 watts RMS. You want a Class D amplifier. They are more expensive but much much much more efficient. A 400 watt class D will produce between 350-400 watts with the proper wiring.

Don't by from Ebay because you won't have a warrenty and you never know exactly what you are getting.

The enclosure also makes a huge difference. A sealed is more quiet but often more clean. A properly tuned ported box can sound great and be very loud with minimal wattage.

Get something class D from a reputable dealer like crutchfield and install it with the proper wiring and you will have more than enough bass to make you happy.
Well here is the amp that I currently have (I'm bridging it):
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-0TKVrBXoW2E/p_113KAC7202/Kenwood-KAC-7202.html

I also got the best amplifier wiring kit for Walmart. Yeahh I know, it wasn't the best choice, but I just wanted to install the new stuff I got so I just ran to Walmart. I should probably upgrade my RCA's.

So do you think what I have would be sufficient for those Kickers?

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2000 watt rms... puts cracks in my trunk lol... breaks 500 dollar radar detectors and no matter what you do makes everything in a 1 mile radius shake lol :)
Got any vids? Lol...

But, could someone look at my previous post on the first page and lemme know what they think?

·
Registered
168 Posts
There are multipul classes. Most amps are class AB. This means they don't actually produce the power they say they do. A 400 watt RMS class AB amp with the proper wiring only produces about 200-250 watts RMS. You want a Class D amplifier. They are more expensive but much much much more efficient. A 400 watt class D will produce between 350-400 watts with the proper wiring.

W...T...F!

On to your issue...

You can achieve 800 watts @ 4 Ohms, but more importantly is it necessary that you achieve 800 watts @ 4 ohms?

If you're set on getting the power (for whatever reason), it will probably be easier for you to re-wire the speakers to a final impedance of 1 Ohm, then find an amp that is 1 ohm stable and produces ~800 watts. This is assuming that the speakers themselves are either both Single Voice Coil 2 Ohm or both Dual Voice Coil 4 ohm. If they are both 8 Ohm wired in parallel to 4 Ohm then you are out of luck.

Are you not satisfied with your current amplifier?

How are you determining how much power your amplifier is "outputting" currently? This will help you determine whether or not you really need "800 watts" of power.

Also, as someone said previously, your gain adjustment is NOT a volume control, do not use it as one.

·
Registered
433 Posts
The Walmart wiring is not all bad lol but you definitely want to upgrade the RCA's.

That amp is not a bad amp per say. It is however class AB, so no matter how good you wire it it is not going to put out all the watts it says it is. It will power those kickers pretty well. You will get a good amount of bass. You are however not pushing the subs to their full potential.

If you run the subs from that amplifier, you would have to turn the amp so that it gives them all the power it can with out making them distort or "clip".

The best way to do this is to turn your head unit up to about 80% of what it can do. This should put it at a point where it is loud but not distorting your speakers. Then turn the amplifier up and up until you hear distortion. Then back the amp down about 5 to 10%.

The question of will this amp be enough to run those subs is all a matter of personal opinion. That amp will make them produce some good sound, but will no where near push them to what they can do. If I were you, I would order the subs, and run them off that amp. If it gives you enough sound, then use it. If you still are wanting more base, you know that you can upgrade the amp to an even bigger one and the subs will take it.

Reactions: _spyder

·
Banned
263 Posts
ther are ALOT of amps that would work in this situation. however if you are purchasing the subs from the site you linked they have really great price on this amp. i cant even get them wholesale for this price. http://www.cardiscountstereos.com/catalog page.asp?Product+#=XT1000D the subs are dual 4ohm voice coils so you can remove them from the box and rewire them this way for a final impedance of 1 ohm.

·
Registered
433 Posts
And in reply to remmargorp
W...T...F!
I don't know what your W.T.F. ing. There are class rating for a reason.

Class D's perform much better and often are stable at much lower Ohms. This is why they are much more expensive than a comparable class AB amplifier.

·
Registered
168 Posts
And in reply to remmargorp I don't know what your W.T.F. ing. There are class rating for a reason.

Class D's perform much better and often are stable at much lower Ohms. This is why they are much more expensive than a comparable class AB amplifier.
Class A/B are not 50% efficient in the terms you are referring to.

You obviously do not have the tools nor have ever measured amplifiers in a professional sense.

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You can achieve 800 watts @ 4 Ohms, but more importantly is it necessary that you achieve 800 watts @ 4 ohms?

If you're set on getting the power (for whatever reason), it will probably be easier for you to re-wire the speakers to a final impedance of 1 Ohm, then find an amp that is 1 ohm stable and produces ~800 watts. This is assuming that the speakers themselves are either both Single Voice Coil 2 Ohm or both Dual Voice Coil 4 ohm. If they are both 8 Ohm wired in parallel to 4 Ohm then you are out of luck.

Are you not satisfied with your current amplifier?

How are you determining how much power your amplifier is "outputting" currently? This will help you determine whether or not you really need "800 watts" of power.

Also, as someone said previously, your gain adjustment is NOT a volume control, do not use it as one.
Well right now I am pushing 460 watts RMS to two 12" MTX subs. They are loud, but I really want something that will boom. Thus, I would like to upgrade to something that is louder. And I think that pushing more watts to these 800 watt RMS Kickers could be the answer... Does anyone else think so?

The Walmart wiring is not all bad lol but you definitely want to upgrade the RCA's.

That amp is not a bad amp per say. It is however class AB, so no matter how good you wire it it is not going to put out all the watts it says it is. It will power those kickers pretty well. You will get a good amount of bass. You are however not pushing the subs to their full potential.

If you run the subs from that amplifier, you would have to turn the amp so that it gives them all the power it can with out making them distort or "clip".

The best way to do this is to turn your head unit up to about 80% of what it can do. This should put it at a point where it is loud but not distorting your speakers. Then turn the amplifier up and up until you hear distortion. Then back the amp down about 5 to 10%.

The question of will this amp be enough to run those subs is all a matter of personal opinion. That amp will make them produce some good sound, but will no where near push them to what they can do. If I were you, I would order the subs, and run them off that amp. If it gives you enough sound, then use it. If you still are wanting more base, you know that you can upgrade the amp to an even bigger one and the subs will take it.
Yes, if I do end up getting these subs, I will first try them out on my current amp this way. And when I do get new subs, I will also upgrade my RCAs.

ther are ALOT of amps that would work in this situation. however if you are purchasing the subs from the site you linked they have really great price on this amp. i cant even get them wholesale for this price. http://www.cardiscountstereos.com/catalog page.asp?Product+#=XT1000D the subs are dual 4ohm voice coils so you can remove them from the box and rewire them this way for a final impedance of 1 ohm.
Okay, how hard do you think it would be to rewire them this way? I have no experience doing this... would I need extra wire?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts