Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm driving to work this morning with three weeks of ownership and 762 miles on the car and all of the sudden I am getting constant warnings that the brake fluid is low and it has to be serviced immediately. Anyone else see this before (or any other service messages for that matter) in such short ownership time/ low mileage with their cars?

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
CALL YOUR DEALERSHIP ASAP! HAVE ROADSIDE TOW IT, if it feels funny. I had one here with that message and one of the brake calipers was leaking brake fluid. dont waste time on here, call them NOW

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CALL YOUR DEALERSHIP ASAP! HAVE ROADSIDE TOW IT, if it feels funny. I had one here with that message and one of the brake calipers was leaking brake fluid. dont waste time on here, call them NOW
Thanks. No they feel fine. Firm, responsive, and no sponginess. If they didn't believe me I would have stopped immediately. Unfortunately I was on my way to work so I couldn't check my driveway for fluid but I am going out to check on lunch and see if I notice anything. It's going to the dealership regardless.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
967 Posts
Something could have hit the brake line creating a small tear as you were driving one day - happened to me on my first car years ago. The mechanic thought it was a sharp rock that bounced up and hit the line.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Something could have hit the brake line creating a small tear as you were driving one day - happened to me on my first car years ago. The mechanic thought it was a sharp rock that bounced up and hit the line.
Yeah, unfortunately a several mile stretch of the expressway route I drive to work has been under construction for the entire summer, concrete replacement, smoothing, re-surfacing, etc. Ah the joys of upstate New York. Of course, looking at your home base I'm sure you are just as familiar with the constant road work as I am!

·
Registered
141 Posts
hey, at least the 490 isn't a bombed out speedfest anymore. Now its a smooth speedfest haha

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey, at least the 490 isn't a bombed out speedfest anymore. Now its a smooth speedfest haha
Yeah, it only took forever but it is nice now that it is done. It is 390 Henrietta through Avon that has been this summer's nightmare!

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have a hard time understanding why it seems people don't believe these warning messages and pull over immediatly and check over the car. If it's really out of fluid, you may push the brake and it feels fine. Then the next time you push on it, no brakes, and major accident.

Nothing against the OP per say, it's a general statment that I am finding the population doesn't heed warnings very well.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have a hard time understanding why it seems people don't believe these warning messages and pull over immediatly and check over the car. If it's really out of fluid, you may push the brake and it feels fine. Then the next time you push on it, no brakes, and major accident.

Nothing against the OP per say, it's a general statment that I am finding the population doesn't heed warnings very well.
I'm the OP and believe me I take nothing personal in your statement. I posted in a hurry this morning when I first got to work as I was rather irritated that a three week old car was flashing warnings and was probably not clear enough in my post.

The warning light did not stay on. It would come on for a couple of seconds and then go off, and then come on again a few minutes later and go quickly off. I have been driving long enough to know when things are not behaving properly by feel and if I suspected that in the least I would have stopped immediately. Of course, the reason I know how a lot of these problems manifest themselves is from some questionable driving/maintenance in my youth, both from a lack of financial resources back then and, as much as I hate to admit it, just plain immaturity with regards to dealing with certain things that should have been dealt with in a timely manner.

I was in the latter half of my drive to work and one thing the last two roads of my drive have in common is they are straight, flat, and desolate (as in I see no one as a rule). Again, any sign of pressure loss or the like and I would have been dialing roadside assistance.

Did go out and check at lunch and also a little while ago. No evidence of a leak anywhere and there is fluid. Pressure seems fine. It seems that when they added fluid though, it was just added to the Min level. Think it was just messing with the level sensor briefly. Again, if I thought my welfare, or more importantly the welfare of someone else, was at risk, I would have been on the side of the road and on the phone.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I have a 2012 ford focus se. The same light keeps appearing at random times. Fluid level is fine.
Hi f0cus2o12,

I would bring this to the attention of your dealership so they can inspect your vehicle. Additionally, I can explorer some ways to help; send me your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name in a PM. I'll get to work!

Crystal

1 - 11 of 11 Posts