Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my new 09 SES oil changed for the first time at 7600 miles. Just like the manual says. (5000 for hard driving, 7500 for good). I do highway so I don't stop and start hard.

Anyway, I took it to the dealer since I get free oil changes for life there. They replaced the oil and filter and then tagged my car with the sticker that said next oil change for 10600! What gives? Its the Ford Dealer, you would think they would give me another 5000 to 7500 miles on it. Not 3000 which is an old wives tale. I feel like I need to call and ask what gives. Anyone else have this problem? I should check the invoice and see if they gave me synthetic.

·
Wings & Teeth
2,465 Posts
makemore money if its every 3k (customer paying)

i ran normal oil in my old zx3 anf went 7500 miles before i changed mine.
nothing happened.

we had a lady come in and she went 30k miles without changing oil.
she just would pour oil in every time the check oil light came on.

it was like hardened brownie when they took the valve cover off.

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
But they don't make more money.. it's free

My dealer does the free thing too, I just pay for filter its $7 something + tax

I went in for my first at 3000, well 2958 to be exact.. they put the sticker on and the guy put 6000, I went in at 5981, the clown that wrote my next sticker put 8981 [scratch][?|] I got upset about that.. lol I ended up going in at around 9050 or so
But this time, they upped my interval to 5k. Sticker says 14050 now

Maybe that's what they're doing to you

·
RB25 = Amazing
5,259 Posts
I go every 3k miles, i actually do it myself most the time. I usually go with mobil one

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
oh and also, if you don't like waiting that long or short, just go in when ever you want, just be reasonable and not show up like every day [hihi]

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
If you get it for free and have the time, why not?? I do mine every 5000K, but I do my own using mobile 1 syn.
^^X2 on everything.... I do mostly highway, but i beat the piss out of it. My oil still comes out damn near as clean as the new stuff going in though.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
they probably are using recycled oil, thats why every 3k is best for that cheap oil

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK checked my invoice and they put in the Motorcraft synth blend 5W20 I think. Which is EXACTLY what the manual calls for and they cite the 5000 to 7500 miles. So it is Ford all the way. And it doesn't matter if it is full synth or not (per the manual). If anything bad happens I can point right to the manual. I am going to call to see what they say though.

This whole "free" oil change is good only for the free part. Considering they are only open M-F 8 til 5pm. Its certainly not convenient. I can't always get there in that time frame. That's why the Jiffy Lubes come in so handy! I put so many miles on my car I would be visiting the dealer once every two months. This 5 to 7k bit is much more friendly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok called the dealer.. Their excuse???? These guys have been changing oil for a long time, the 3000 mile rule is just entrenched in their heads. Really? Ford mechanics working for Ford? Update your heads buddy. I'm sticking with 6 to 7000 mile oil changes! Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I buy my oil at Wal-Mart (Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20) and an oil filter (Again, Motorcraft FL-910) and I end up saving around $5 if I get it changed at Ford. When I go visit my girlfriend's parents' house, I take the Focus to her dad's work (he's a service manager for Gary Matthews Chrysler-Dodge in Jackson, TN) and I get my oil changed for free. I tell you, Ford tries to rip you off in every little way. Last time I was there I couldn't believe the crap they were feeding me about my car. I'm about to stop going there because I can't deal with their incompetence and petty schemes anymore.

·
Premium Member
5,279 Posts
I run Royal Purple 10w-30 (goes well with boost) with mobil one oil filter and I change mine every 5-6k miles. No issues so far.

I agree with jetrinka though, if it's free, then F it, let 'em do it for free. It can't hurt. Even the non-fully-synthetic oil will actually hold up fine til 9-10k miles, it's just that the oil usually begins to break down and not lubricate as well around 3k miles (on average), doesn't mean the oil doesn't still do its job just fine.

I used to run mobil one 15w-30 and I changed the oil at 3k miles and it wasn't even pitch black yet... still looked pretty solid (in a liquidic way).

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Change my truck oil every 6-7k. it has 185,000 on it.

Change my focus oil every 7k. it has 75000.

Both vehicles are verrrrrry low maintance.

End results... i save money while every1 else changes their oil every 3000.

There is no need to change your oil that early specially with full syn... If you beat the piss out of your car, stop and go traffic.. harsh conditions like that, 3500 is understandable. Ofcourse, every1 has been brought up differently having their own opinion on this topic but no1 can convince me to change my oil b4 5000.

·
Registered
393 Posts
^^ I agree completely. The 3,000 mile oil change is a scam put on by oil change places and oil companies. Even if you are getting your oil changes for free from the dealership, oil is being used.

It's pretty simple. Gas and oil come from the same place. Changing your oil more often means that more oil is used. That means demand is up, so prices can go up. There's also the environmental angle... I rarely go there, but we DO only have a finite supply of oil on this planet....

Follow the manual. I've always followed the manual (usually 5,000 mile interval for my circumstances), and I've never had a problem.

Don't buy into the scam.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
But you guys are missing the point. Yes it would be un-needed if HE was paying for it. In this situation the dealer is doing it for FREE every 3k.. Let em do it if they want to. It certainly isn't going to hurt anything..

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.