Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this is possible with the pzev. mines brand new so i wont try it for a while, if ever, but on a test drive months ago i did. i really wound it out i admit but i did see 70 in 2nd. this was when the pzev just came out and i had to see if i wanted one. i just got mine yesterday because i wanted to get the best deal, so i waited till they were desperate to dump the 03's. my trade in allowance on my 02 with no a/c actually got better over the span of 6 months! btw after i drove the pzev that first time, i said to myself, well i never really pounded my car like that, let me see what mine will do driving it the same way. i wound the hell out of it in to 2nd gear, and no bs, i was looking at 45 mph, not 70! i knew then i was making the move someday.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
[80?] Holy crap dude.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I *think* the gearing in the PZEV/5-spd gives you 10mph per 1Krpm in 2nd. (It's not convenient for me to run out and go for a drive to confirm this right at the moment, so I am working from memory). Therefore, yeah, 70mph in 2nd would be 7000rpm. One account from Ford says 7000 rpm is max rpm, so, yeah, it's possible, but, the question is *why*?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Because of warrantys and freeway onramps :)

·
Registered
712 Posts
Welcome to the hell that is my world. My focus goes 70 in second, the gearing sucks!

·
fOCUS Zetec 2.0
292 Posts
what the? please explain Dave...

·
Registered
847 Posts
It's not quite 70 before the rev limiter... I'll do it again today and let you know.

I see nothing wrong with the gearing on the car especially with the extra torque, if I can get 60 in 2nd that would be sweet... 0-60 times are more important to me than 1/4 mile since I don't go to the track.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I was just complaining about the gears in my focus, they suck. I would much have quicker gears, than these tall ass ones. I am always getting beat off the line (and thats it, lol) by zx3's, and I attribute it to their quicker gearing.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Ok, it's 62mph at the rev limiter for the manual.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
i can do 62 in 2nd and 84 in 3rd

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what wheels do you guys got? im betting the 16's? i have the 15's, maybe mines a little quicker cause of the shorter height? i dont know, but i know what i saw and soffiler said it was possible also. what rpm does the limiter kick in anyway? the redline is 7 grand so i dont know why the limiter would be like 6200 or anything like that.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
the power band ends at 6200

·
Registered
847 Posts
You have 15's and 60 series tires, I have 16's and 50's. Which is the same diameter. If you do have 15's and 50's though, it would mean your speedometer is off.

I know it may have seemed like 70, but it's impossible. And soffiler would be wrong about the 10mph per 1k rpm, but he only said he *thinks* it was that way. Just go test it :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
want my 2 cents? i traded my 2003 civic lx manual for a zx3 power premium atx cause the wifey can`t drive a stick-shift. i hate auto trans. ut this car is faster than the civic, at least it feels it to me. my motor is just now roken in, about 500 miles, and i was being gentle with it, ut i will see what i get out of it in second gear and post tomorrow. like i said, just my 2 cents ;-p

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Dave said:
I was just complaining about the gears in my focus, they suck. I would much have quicker gears, than these tall ass ones. I am always getting beat off the line (and thats it, lol) by zx3's, and I attribute it to their quicker gearing.
I agree. I would love to put in some 3.82 or 4.06 gears, but I don't want to leave my autocross class.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes the rev limiter cuts you off in a very "nice" way if you go to far but it happens right about 62mph as I have many on ramps and toll booths here in Mass I do it often and love the look on other peoples faces when a "fast" car can't keep up with my $16,000 Focus. Can you say SLEEPER

·
Registered
99 Posts
Depends on what 'tall' means. *stares blankly*

1 - 20 of 47 Posts