Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how much power the stock transmission can hold before something breaks? Also what are the weakest parts in this transmission? I remember someone stating only 200hp on this forum, but cant find the link.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Does anyone know how much power the stock transmission can hold before something breaks? Also what are the weakest parts in this transmission? I remember someone stating only 200hp on this forum, but cant find the link.
The "power limitation" is torque, not HP.

Considering that the DPS6 uses dry clutches and was designed for the Fiesta and Focus (2.0L Ti-VCT), it would probably be safe to say that max. torque applied to the transmission couldn't be too much greater than the max. torque of the 2.0L Ti-VCT Focus engine.

I doubt that anyone here can really give you an accurate answer.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The "power limitation" is torque, not HP.

Considering that the DPS6 uses dry clutches and was designed for the Fiesta and Focus (2.0L Ti-VCT), it would probably be safe to say that max. torque applied to the transmission couldn't be too much greater than the max. torque of the 2.0L Ti-VCT Focus engine.

I doubt that anyone here can really give you an accurate answer.
Good point on the torque. No idea how I forgot that. I only ask because I find it funny and odd that we have launch control. Also a little more power wouldnt hurt. :)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I find out this :
...dry clutch design is generally suitable for smaller vehicles with lower torque outputs up to 250 N·m (184 ft·lbf).
Maybe this is the case for Ford Focus but I am not sure. But it can't be too far from it either.

·
Registered
683 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm so no point in adding any power to this car. I just wanted 200 FWHP :(

·
Registered
683 Posts
Hmm so no point in adding any power to this car. I just wanted 200 FWHP :(
It is looking like exhaust and intake mods may be all our powershifts will be able to take. I'm very intersted in what companies like FSWerks will be coming up with.

[dunno]

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, im honestly okay with the power, but the little extra pep would have been nice. Granted I know this isnt a "sports car" but dont tell the BooBerry that... it might kill me. lol

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is looking like exhaust and intake mods may be all our powershifts will be able to take. I'm very intersted in what companies like FSWerks will be coming up with.

[dunno]
They might be making things for the 5Speed not us... same engine... :(

·
Registered
257 Posts
The only way you're going to find out how much torque the PowerShift can handle is for someone to break it because of to much torque. The torque ratings from the manufacturers is more a liability thing. GM lists the max torque of their transmission based on the highest torque output engine they have mated to it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
the only problem with adding more power might be the transmission computer having too go back too relearning the transmission and how you drive with the extra power it might be interesting.

And just a theory here but the upper limits of the transmission would really depend on the max shearing force the material in that specific transmission can take.

Though as food for thought I thought I heard rumours of a much beefed up version of the powershift being made available for the st. Or is for just going too use the powershift from their european diesel's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts