Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Wings & Teeth
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im in first and im trying to hit redline and at 6k rpm or so the power seriously just stops. almost feels like car wont allow me to hit redline and car slows down quick.

then when in 2nd gear trying to hit redline at or around 6k rpm the car does the same thing.dont knwo what is going on?

but it just feels like there is and anti-redline something in the car.
i want to know how to get rid of this cause i cant even get the most out of the car

·
Registered
331 Posts
Any chance there is a tune on the car? I have a rev limit at 6k on mine, and it literally hits a wall kind of like you describe, without a bounce that would indicate a rev limiter, just an idea

·
Wings & Teeth
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes it is kinda like that!
i have no idea if there is a tune or not!
i bought the car 2.5 weeks ago.
it has a rebuilt title so idk if some how the tune could have got messed up/

but it is like you decribed as hitting a wall.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Check plugs, verify they are correct for the car. Check for cracks in the ignition coil pack, any crack and replace the coil. check the engine ground, clean it and/or upsize it; clean battery terminals also.

Any code by chance, like one for the VCT Solenoid?

·
Dragon Warrior
309 Posts
although it is rare for an 04 also check the intake manifold to make sure it is switching as well, should switch at or around 5500 rpm

·
Wings & Teeth
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how do i check the engine ground?

and how do i check the intake manifold?

·
Dragon Warrior
309 Posts
physically look at the black wire on you battery make sure it looks good like it is all clean and no corrosion. do the same for the the ground located on the engine lift point located on your left as you are looking at the engine.

it is right behind the valve cover it should go from that lift point to an area next to the power steering reservoir.

for the manifold look at the throttle body then look below it there is a almond or eye shaped bracket with a cable going to it. with the engine running in neutral and the parking brake set open the throttle with your hand and watch that bracket. it should move at about 5500 rpm if it has not moved by 6200rpm I say the IMRC module has gone or that bracket has broken. Might be helpful to enlist the halp of a friend for this step so they can work the throttle for you.

the 04s were not usually known to break that bracket but it can happen.

·
Wings & Teeth
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
but would that explain me not being able to get above 6500 rpms and almost like hitting a wall when i reach 6250 rpms?

·
Wings & Teeth
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and what does IMRC mean?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Intake Manifold Runner Control, it's what controls this operation:

low rpm

High rpm

·
Wings & Teeth
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
and where is this located at?
so i cant make sure i understand fully
if i just opened the hood and looking into the engine bay

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
physically look at the black wire on you battery make sure it looks good like it is all clean and no corrosion. do the same for the the ground located on the engine lift point located on your left as you are looking at the engine.

it is right behind the valve cover it should go from that lift point to an area next to the power steering reservoir.

for the manifold look at the throttle body then look below it there is a almond or eye shaped bracket with a cable going to it. with the engine running in neutral and the parking brake set open the throttle with your hand and watch that bracket. it should move at about 5500 rpm if it has not moved by 6200rpm I say the IMRC module has gone or that bracket has broken. Might be helpful to enlist the halp of a friend for this step so they can work the throttle for you.

the 04s were not usually known to break that bracket but it can happen.
and where is this located at?
so i cant make sure i understand fully
if i just opened the hood and looking into the engine bay

Note sure what else you need to know.

·
Wings & Teeth
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i looked and everything seemed ok.

then i drove it and tried hitting redline in 1st and at 6k did the same exact thing.
then turning aronud and heading back home the car was very sluggish and bogged down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts