Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, other than looks is a 65mm throttle body going to do for the SVTF? I could see a reason to get one for a ZX3 but the SVT stock throttle body is already 65mm. Can someone explain to me what I am missing here? Thanks

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
It's weird that the 65mm TB will give you more HP/torque than the stock 66mm TB that comes with the SVTF. Maybe someone can shed some light on this issue.

·
Registered
990 Posts
65mm

what i have read from those who have them is this. there is a very small gain on a normally aspirated motor. there is a better throttle "feel" as the bore is smoother than stock. there is also a 70mm available. the general consenus was it was not worth the 2 or 3 extra hp it makes on a non blown motor for the money.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I know im gonna come off sounds dumb but what exactly is a throttle body?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I just needed some reasurence that it isn't really worth it for me - so I wouldn't blow 200 bones just because it's blue!

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
We dyno'd one way back when it first came out and it was only worth a few hp. Probably not worth it for the N/A guys like was mentioned.

I always wondered why ford would make the stocker 66mm, kinda an odd #.

·
12 years strong
6,882 Posts
seb656= a throttle body goes in between ur intake and ur intake manifold. it lets the air into the engine. its got a larger butterfly (hole) than the stockers do so it lets more air in. it also helps with throttle response. i got mine a few days ago and its great.

·
Registered
74 Posts
hmm

I'd only purchase an aftermarket TB if I had a Supercharger or Turbo. The gains on a mild SVTF don't warrant $200.

Paul

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
The 70 mm TB will probably find a home on a car with some headwork and/or cams (in addition to the FI like you guys mentioned)...

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
kttnmthkngs420 thanks for the explanation i was kinda out in the dark on that one =)

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Good to know...I was thing about the 70 as well, along with what kind of gain I could expect... Main, SVT really put a lot into this ride (short of a Turbo)... that doesn't leave to many "affordable" upgrades for me! ...which I guess is a good thing!

·
Registered
831 Posts
With the N/A motor how stupid it sounds but the 70mm or 65mm Throttle Body, 75mm Mass Air Meter, and the CAI AEM SVT, add the tornado that fits within the tube right before the Mass Air in the cone air filter (needs to be snug) will actually give some power gains. I'll have to find the dyno sheet. But it is pretty interesting!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
65 MM THROTTLE BODY

THE REASON THE 65 GETS MORE HP THAN OUR STOCK 66 IS DUE TO THE FACT THAT ITS POLISHED. IF SOMEONE'S ALREADY POINTED THAT OUT... SORRY, IM TOO LAZY TO READ ALL THE REPLIES

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
[duh] But I dont think you are stupid. [;)]

·
Registered
990 Posts
stock tb

i am pretty sure some svtfers have just cleaned up the flow on the stock tb. there is a small ridge that can be smoothed out (very carefully) to get the same gain as an aftermarket tb.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts