Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Should I Get the TB?

• Yes! SLap that Bizzatch on There!

Votes: 44 67.7%
  • NO! What are you, stupid?

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Get it eventually, but save for something else first!

Votes: 15 23.1%
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right. Just something basic here.. wanting to get opinions and experiences.

My car: 2001 ATX Focus Street Edition Sedan

My 'go' mods: Volant CAI, FR 9mm wires, FR UDP, MBRP (will be installed in a week)

My desire: I wan to be able to jump off the line a bit more quickly, accelerate faster. I'm not looking to go nuts over top speed, just get a good kick when going from a standstill.

I have heard that the 65mm TB will help greatly in this area.

Then again, I have heard that its a pretty useless mod.

Sooooo.... care to help me clear things up? I'd like to know what you all think. Will this help me? Will it not?

Or is there something else I can put on the car to help?

Any and all suggestions and opinions welcome.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
it will def help...but it isnt all that noticeable and for the price unless you have heavily modded id say it isnt worth it. When i got mine i was nearly stock except a CAI and i barely noticed it.

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
^^^its an exhaust, matt i was told not to do it becuase you wont feel it as much with lil or few mods, i did it to mine and really i couldnt tell, then again it wasnt working right, nut still i was told less you put lotsa money in then its worth it otherwise save the save for more GLOW!

·
Registered
958 Posts
are u porting the stock tb or getting a new one? the new one would be preferable since it has a revised linkage that allows better tip-in response...i defintely noticed it and i would recommend it...however what it sounds like u need is a tune...you would prolly notice that much more than the tb...especially if u change the shift points

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^^^^

Yes.. I would be getting the FC 65mm TB either used or new. And yeah, a tune is what is really gonna help.. but I am gonna save the tune for after I get my SVT header kit, SVT Flex, and SVT Cat....

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
It's say it is worth it, moreso on a MTX then an ATX but regardless.... you already got an intake, might as well help free up the flow a bit more anyway.

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
Get one used if your gonna get one. I couldn't justify paying full price for one. Maybe even port and polish one yourself to save more money. That way at least your know it would fit perfectly when done. I had a little trouble getting mine to sit properly, trouble lining up the holes. As long as your continueing to mod, you should get one.

·
Registered
110 Posts
i noticed a significant difference, especially after I got my comp reflashed at my local ford house. I would say yes but it also depends on what else you are doing. All in all I would say it was worth it....

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well.. to answer everyone's "it depends on what you are doing" statements.... here are my plans for the near future:

SVT Header Kit
SVT Flex
SVT Cat
Tune

Possibly looking into getting Cams as well......

·
The Godfather
4,405 Posts
It was one of my first mods and one of my favorite mods. Worth the money.

I will either have a BBK or a F.C. one for sale soon.

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What sucks for me is I have to find one with the Auto bracket......

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
i thought it def made a difference...although it was kinda steep in cost, IMO. one thing you will notice is how much more responsive (or touchy) the throttle is...which I believe may actually = a little more torque(?) You are obviously going to get better flow, so I cant see how that cant help.

One thing you may notice is a slight/faint 'psssst' from the air going past the metal butterfly in the TB...but only at the right throttle and speed combo. I have a FS Cool-Flo, so I def hear it when my window is down.. almost sounds like a mini turbo.

^^With your volant intake, I am not sure you will even hear it vs. those of us w/ short rams. Just thought I would bring this up so if you do install it and hear it you dont think you did something wrong. Also, no worries its not loud or obnoxious and most people that have commented on it kinda like it.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
From what I've read about it (I don't have one), it will noticeably improve trottle response, especially on an ATX. However, it doesn't improve horsepower/torque really.

As far as a tune goes, I would decide what you want to do first. For example, if you are going to be getting cams (as I will be), I would wait to tune it until then. Otherwise, you would just have to retune it once the cams are in.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
On a setup that includes a stock head, intake manifold and intake, all you're going to see is improved throttle response. On such a setup, everything else in the intake system is holding you back, in fact you wouldn't even be maxing the stock TB out. And even then...you'll only really see true gains from a 65mm TB if you go aggressive N/A or FI. Just like an intake manifold, a TB is more of icing on the cake rather than a major power-adder.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts