Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is great bit of discussion and recommendation on the adding of a 65mm TB.
If you add the throttle body, don't you need to widen the intake opening also?
It would seem that you would gain little if the throttle body was 65mm but the intake opening remained at 60mm.

If this is the case then how do you widen the intake opening and can it be done on the car?????

Will there be any benefit of adding the larger throttle body without widening the intake opening??

[confused] [paranoid] [8] [???:)]

·
Registered
845 Posts
You don't need to port the opening on the intake manifold for a 65mm TB to be beneficial. It's really the size of the throttle plate that makes the difference in throttle feel/responsiveness. I'm pretty sure people have been porting the intake for smoother airflow and not so much for more airflow.

Porting the Focus's intake manifold is easy because it's plastic, but that also means you need to be extra careful not to make a hole completely through the thing!

If you are interested in porting the opening leading into the intake manifold, you can do so by simply stuffing some lightly oiled lint-free rags into the manifold, placing your new gasket that comes with the TB onto the opening and tracing the inner edge of the gasket onto the manifold as a guide to porting, then use a Dremel with a sanding wheel to port out the opening to that line. After porting, use a vacuum to pick up any plastic debris and sand that came off of the Dremel tool, and remove your oily rags. Install your new TB and you're done.

The plastic shavings aren't too big of a deal if some are left in your intake manifold, but sand from the Dremel tool is very bad, so make sure you vacuum well, and leave little or none behind. You can remove the manifold before porting if you are worried about messing something up.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
if your not going to port it then your just a lazy arse, y not port it? it does NEED it, you NEED it ported, you should always port it, you NEED all the flow you can get[:)~] and it takes like 5 whole minutes w/a dremel

·
Registered
845 Posts
hahaha...it IS pretty simple...lol..."it does NEED it, you NEED it ported"...lol...

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Unless your gonna do some internal engine mods soon, I would deter from porting the TB intake.

When the TB intake is ported, the result is instant, almost jumpy, throttle response. By about half throttle, the engine is ingesting all the air it can.

Read the full details

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
When the TB intake is ported, the result is instant, almost jumpy, throttle response. By about half throttle, the engine is ingesting all the air it can.

I agree with this. I was wondering why every one said that the larger TB makes better throttle response. That goes against every thing i have known. Just like with carberated engines, a larger carb makes a stumble off idle.

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone port the TB intake and experience any problems? Anyone who hasn't ported the TB intake and experienced any gains in response?

Just a lazy arse wanting to know.[poke]

·
Registered
845 Posts
Jumpiness is pretty much all you can expect if a TB is all you have done. Once you open your intake, exhaust, and do other mods, then the TB is more useful. You'll soon get use to your new TB, and change your view of it from "jumpiness" to "responsiveness". I enjoy the feel of my mods including my TB. You use to be able to drink coffee in my car without spilling a drop, but now I don't suggest it unless you like to wear your coffee!

Until you get comfortable with this mod, you'll be racing from every stop you make, but you WILL get better and take control of your launches. I've had my TB for about 2 months, and I love it! I can make slow launches like a stock focus, but I like the G-forces pressing me in my seat...it's why I mod! I can't wait to supercharge!!!

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, is there anything to gain by adding a larger throttle body? Do you really experience increased throttle response? Even if you do or don't port the TB intake?

Is it worth the $250, can you tell it in performance?

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
FC 65mm TB installed.
TB intake not ported.
Throttle Response improved. A little jumpy off idle until you get use to the TB responsiveness.

Can't say if there is any HP gains but the throttle response is good.

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the short ram, saving up for a Volant, UDP, Ford Racing Street Headers, Random hi-flo cat and Bosal flex pipe finished off with a magnaflo cat back. It just seamed that the throttle body would be next.

Gon Fishin...did you port you TB intake??? Just curious. Thanks for the input.[:D]

Oh, by the way, my ZX5 is an auto, the wife can't drive stick. I had heard that the TB is recommended even more so for the auto, true?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Yes, mine is ported...if you get the TB, I'd port because it's so fast and easy to do, but I really don't think it's necessary. It won't add to your TB responsiveness to port, but the improved airflow may give you 1/2 - 1hp when you're car is modified (but most heavily modded foci like turbos/superchargers/high hp all motor have aftermarket intake manifolds anyways).

I think you'll like the larger TB (I haven't heard anyone say they didn't). Do you plan on doing cams/gears? It looks like that's next if you are going further with your modding. Sorry...I don't want to change the topic on ya...just interested in your future focus plans (if any).

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not really sure if I'm goin to proceed past the "bolt on" mods or not. As everyone knows this "hobby" can get quite expensive and with kids getting ready for college the TB might be it for a while. I don't race or autox, I just wanted a car that was a little more fun to drive, at 50 it's fun to think I'm a kid again . What gains there are in cams/gears????? Besides, I've spent a some change on the performance mods I might look at doing apperance mods that are a little more budget friendly.

Of course that was part of the reason for starting this thread, wanting to know if it was worth the $250 for a TB. [idea]

·
Registered
845 Posts
This is an expensive hobby, and sometimes, it's a little like work...I really enjoy it though.

cams will make use of the air you let pass through your engine with the intake and exhaust by adjusting the valve timing and lift.
adjustable cam gears allow fine tune adjustment of the cams (can sometimes help stock cams scavange more hp)

as far as is it worth $250 for a TB...well, my take is that anything related to automobiles is way too expensive for what you get, but without my negative attitude toward spending my hard earned $$$, I say yes. It's worth it for the "improvement" in how my car performs, BUT you may not feel the same way about it as I do. I can never get enough of this performance stuff. If I had a few million $$, I'd be in a garage all the time just wastin money on modifying inexpensive cars like my Focus....of course there'd be some other cars, but nothing beats a good sleeper.

I mean...BUY THE TB...BUY THE TB...BUY THE TB.....lol...peer pressure!

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I also enjoy this hobby very much and at times catch myself spending more time on it than I probably should. And I too, if money were no object, would spend all my free hours tinkering and mod'ing my ZX5 I love it, the performance and getting everything out of it I can.

So with that said I will install the throttle boby, port the intake and enjoy....cams and gears welllllll maybe somewhere on the horizon. Thanks again for the input[cheers]

One other thing, I have never understood what "lol" means. I see it on here all the time???????????????????????

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Lick O Lotopus, its a lesbian dinosaur....

no really, the TB is nice, i have one but i have so much other crap that i put on the same time that i wouldnt be able to tell you how it by itslef worked, and i myself am thinking of trading it out for a 70mm

·
Registered
845 Posts
hahaha...Mofo: 70mm...you would...actually, you have the 2.5in exhaust, and plan on supercharging sometime this century, so, sure...go for it...LOL

65mm is pretty big for our cars...70mm is HUGE!

I've got a silly question (a little off topic). On the 65mm TB, the idle bypass is closed from that really big opening to 3 little holes yet the car's idle remains the same. What do you think would happen if someone were to port those 3 holes back into one big opening? Less jumpiness? More low end hp/tq? Whatcha think?

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
it would just raise your idle air, dont think you wanna do that, would probly make it worse, im guessing

1 - 20 of 21 Posts