Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I read the Eu gas tank is actually 62 liters (16.38 US gallons)

Anyone read up on this or try to do anything about getting the EU gastank into a USA Focus?

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
So I read the Eu gas tank is actually 62 liters (16.38 US gallons)

Anyone read up on this or try to do anything about getting the EU gastank into a USA Focus?
I can think of a few reasons not to:

* Expense

* Violates the EPA Evaporative Emission Standard (manufacturers have to certify the installed system- any modification is a violation)

* Warranty revocation

* One forum member recently claimed almost 600 highway miles on the stock 12.4 gallon tank.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=479985

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can think of a few reasons not to:

* Expense

* Violates the EPA Evaporative Emission Standard (manufacturers have to certify the installed system- any modification is a violation)

* Warranty revocation

* One forum member recently claimed almost 600 highway miles on the stock 12.4 gallon tank.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=479985
YEah I have noticed all those EPA guys hanging around gas stations arresting anyone putting more gas than standard into a tank. Scary! [like]
And warranty problems would be for the 'gas tank' So how many times have YOU heard about a gas tank going bad?

The ST one of the biggest complaints it the too damn small gas tank.
And if the Eu Focus get the bigger tank why did they give us the shrivelled up version?
Why Ford?

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
YEah I have noticed all those EPA guys hanging around gas stations arresting anyone putting more gas than standard into a tank. Scary! [like]
And warranty problems would be for the 'gas tank' So how many times have YOU heard about a gas tank going bad?

The ST one of the biggest complaints it the too damn small gas tank.
And if the Eu Focus get the bigger tank why did they give us the shrivelled up version?
Why Ford?
The ST is already a heavy beast (~300 lbs. heavier than your current car) without the 100+ pounds of fuel that you could carry in a 62 liter tank.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Happens more than most people who are not in the car business think, mostly due to deterioration of the lining or cracking.

http://www.torquenews.com/106/ford-being-sued-using-faulty-f-series-fuel-tanks

http://www.law360.com/articles/409208/ford-can-t-duck-warranty-claims-in-fuel-tank-defect-suit

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...-warned-that-their-cars-could-suddenly-stall/

http://blog.caranddriver.com/car-ac...second-mazda-6-recall-for-cracked-fuel-tanks/

I have more if you need them.

Regarding warranty, the real problem is that Ford could claim any fuel system malfunction is your fault for tampering with it.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
...Regarding warranty, the real problem is that Ford could claim any fuel system malfunction is your fault for tampering with it.
Yep, everything from tank to and including the injectors. And I bet those DI injectors aren't cheap.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The ST is already a heavy beast (~300 lbs. heavier than your current car) without the 100+ pounds of fuel that you could carry in a 62 liter tank.
I'll carry the weight. four more gallons of gasoline is 24.846 pounds. NOT 100 pounds. But maybe the gas tank being designed to carry four more gallons weights that extra 75 MORE pounds than the 12.5 gallon tank.
Maybe they make the EU tank out of lead? [nono]
I would seriously bet the EU gastank weighs all of 6 pounds more (or less that that) than the US tank.
So to carry 4 extra gallons of gas at a weight penalty of 31 pounds.. Hell yes.
Gallon of gasoline 6.08 pounds. one source.
other source 6.216 pounds per gallon.
I guess I do not 'get' the negative vibes over this. What is the problem with wanting a bigger gas tank?I would buy it and install it if it fit in a heartbeat. regardless of your guys panicking over the thought.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I don't get the bickering over extra weight and all. The extra weight is negligible compared to the additional range. I know I for one would certainly spend a few hundred towards replacing a fuel tank for higher capacity if it was easily done. That said, this all is just a bunch of wishful thinking anyways, wasted effort.

For differences like this, there is usually reason behind it as it cuts into the whole economies of scale thing with the parts. It's not like someone was like hey, lets screw one market with a smaller tank for the hell of it while everyone else gets more. Even if everything matched up and fit perfectly and wasn't due to some slight configuration/equipment differences in the area, it could of been something as simple as an insignificant 20-30lbs difference on a single car that may mean .001 MPG or emission...that IS significant to the manufacturer when multiplied across hundreds of thousands of cars produced as far as fleet averages, epa regs, etc go.

What makes it wishful thinking and wasted effort is assuming everything is perfectly interchangeable, what difference does it make when you cant get the parts to do it! It's not like you are going to go to your neighborhood ford dealer and tell them to order you the 62L tank and go pick it up in a week. Unless somebody is selling these things, it's all pretty moot. Even trying to source one elsewhere...pretty much anything can be imported, at a cost....but where are you going to draw the line? Just the existing fuel tank is a $700+ part through the dealer (look it up!), and you may need sender/pump if it isn't the same which could be significant, and other minor parts like straps and all if they aren't the same. Assuming prices overseas are similar, if/when you found someone willing to ship to the US, your going to be in for a lot higher then that even. Somehow I don't think many people will go through that hassle and the great expense to try that way either for simply a few extra gallon capacity.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Just a little extra weight means a little less MPG + more sloshing noise (I would gladly accept a little less MPG for a bigger tank if no price increase for the larger tank) [thankyou]

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Maybe Ford is listening. Maybe Ford will offer a choice of two tanks on the Focus ST: The extended range 22+ gallon tank from the F-150 or the standard 12.4 gallon tank current.

Don't hold your breath.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some of the most valuable old Corvettes are ones with the 'optional' bigger gas tank.
What was that tank? Z06 package with a 36.5 gallon gas tank.
Runnin' FAST cross country with a engine getting 10mpg... [goofydrunk]

·
Registered
141 Posts
This would be sooo nice... I'm still pretty pissed about the 47 liter 2013 tank that reads empty at 7 liters left... If I can get one of the 2014's 54 liter tanks at some point for a reasonable cost I definitely will.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'll carry the weight. four more gallons of gasoline is 24.846 pounds. NOT 100 pounds. But maybe the gas tank being designed to carry four more gallons weights that extra 75 MORE pounds than the 12.5 gallon tank.
Maybe they make the EU tank out of lead? [nono]
I would seriously bet the EU gastank weighs all of 6 pounds more (or less that that) than the US tank.
So to carry 4 extra gallons of gas at a weight penalty of 31 pounds.. Hell yes.
Gallon of gasoline 6.08 pounds. one source.
other source 6.216 pounds per gallon.
I guess I do not 'get' the negative vibes over this. What is the problem with wanting a bigger gas tank?I would buy it and install it if it fit in a heartbeat. regardless of your guys panicking over the thought.
I don't see anyone freaking out a bigger gas tank, just people who don't see much benefit of one compared to the costs of retrofitting one. How much would you be willing to spend to do this? Over a grand?

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This would be sooo nice... I'm still pretty pissed about the 47 liter 2013 tank that reads empty at 7 liters left... If I can get one of the 2014's 54 liter tanks at some point for a reasonable cost I definitely will.
I did not know the NA 2014 tank is bigger than the 2013?
Seven additional liters is a lot more gas in the tank
12.4 gallons up to 14.2 is meaningful.
Thanks. That is enough to make it almost moot (at least for the 2014 owners!)
Added: I went and looked up the specs for the 2014 and it still is a 12. 4 gallon tanks.
IS the Canadian tank bigger? at 14.2 in 2014?

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Do we have any actual proof that the tank is physically larger or just the specification sheet?

After all the Canadian market cars are built in the U.S. using the exact same parts as the U.S. models. They get a few different option packages, but idk about the fuel tank being any different really. Might not have the same evaporative emissions components in the tank though.

Although the asbuilt data does not always appear correctly in http://ford.xtlt.ru/ab/ it would appear that the U.S. model also codes back as a 55 L fuel tank despite the fact that 12.4 gal is closer to 47 L.

Oh and if you switch the units back to imperial it says 12.4 US Gallons in Canada as well.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have no proof but I did notice the tank size change a long time ago so I would assume that they would have fixed it by now. I think we'd have to hear from a 2014 Canadian Focus owner to find out for sure though. [poke]

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
If money weren't an issue I would definitely get a bigger tank. But $1k plus is just silliness.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts