Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the exact output wattage for this unit? trying to do a simple speaker upgrade and want to get quality speakers but not waste money on getting high wattage speakers for no reason.

This is for 2004 Ford focus zx3

·
Registered
14 Posts
Get the DSC680's, instead. If you get the ones you linked, their power handling is so far out of the 6006's ability to push, you'll be disappointed. Changing decks, first tends to give favorable results because its like bringing in a body builder to play with 5 lbs. dumb bells. Changing to 400W speakers and retaining the factory deck is like hiring a pencil neck geek to play with 20 lbs. free weights--he has a lot less control.

So keep things balanced, and get a sub-100W set of 2-way's like the 680's to increase your mid and upper range, thanks to the addition of a tweeter.

And while you're at it get the Xtc 6x8 oval foam baffle's at Parts Express to protect your investment.

·
Registered
16,343 Posts
I'm surprised a 6006 is still alive here in Texas, the heat made all the plastic crack into a million pieces on mine, the CD player turned into junk. The entire faceplate section crumbled into dust too, the mounting points all were not even there when I removed it. You could dig craters in the plastic with a fingernail. I modded it once to mount back up but all the mounts simply disintegrated a second time and there was nothing left to hold the faceplate in place.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the analogy helps considering I don't know much about car audio.

So if I held off on a sub an went with 2 sets of the 680's or 684's got some baffles what kinda head unit would be best? Right now everything added up is just over 120 which is nice

Note: I push my stock system to it's max it's how I listen to my heavy metal?

·
Registered
16,343 Posts
Man I put a cheap $60 unit in from Crutchfield and no looking back, I was surprised to get that kind of quality out of a bottom dollar unit. I convert CDs to mp3 so as to use the USB feature on the unit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So if I held off on a sub an went with 2 sets of the 680's or 684's got some baffles what kinda head unit would be best? Right now everything added up is just over 120 which is nice

Note: I push my stock system to it's max it's how I listen to my heavy metal?
This depends on your needs. Do you want a modern deck with no CD player that just plays stuff over Bluetooth or an Aux cable from your phone? There are plenty to choose from, BUT even respectable manufacturers may leave out information pertaining to what class the internal amplification is. Why? Because its probably, Class D or even T, which is efficient, power-wise but not great for pushing your speakers (despite good looking wattage figures, which are not real-world watts).

If you're good with a CD playing deck, I would find yourself an older unit, which you can readily find is Class A/B or even pure Class A to really push your 6x8's. The good stuff started to drop off in the 90's.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where online could I find a older unit? I like keeping my options open so I'm also wondering if there's a unit that both has Bluetooth n a CD player?

I don't need some ricer stereo that's sounds like my wheel are gonna fall off ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Where online could I find a older unit? I like keeping my options open so I'm also wondering if there's a unit that both has Bluetooth n a CD player?

I don't need some ricer stereo that's sounds like my wheel are gonna fall off ?
For older units ebay would be best. I ran a Kenwood KDC in my ZX3 that had bluetooth and a CD player. a newer unit but with the fit kit and dimmer option it blended with the car perfectly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts