Focus Fanatics Forum banner

101 - 105 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
My 6spd is in! and I love it. total parts only cost like 3 or 400 more than just replacing everything

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Reviving this to ask you, since the app won't let me PM you (says you aren't allowing PMs):

My SVT has a regular Zetec swapped into it.
In your experience, can I simply swap a regular Zetec ecu into the SVT to run the regular Zetec engine?

Sorry for the revival of the thread and slight off topic nature of this question.
I just had no other way to ask ya.
Well it's finished. Pretty straight forward. I love the tranmission. I really went well with the ZX5's setup. There was one problem, got everything together and took it out for a test drive. I guess with the different gearing, it threw the speedo off, then with it being off so much, it was hitting the fuel cut off. Unplugged the speed sensor and it runs great(just no speedometer) So it looks like I'll be sending the chip to McNews to have the ratio reset. Hopefully they can and I'll be calling them tomm. So a chip MUST be used on the 6-speed swap.

Ok here's the parts list.

Transmission
Axles
Shifter Asy
Shift Cables
Fly Wheel
Clutch
Pressure Plate
Upper Tranny Lower Mount(bolts to tranny)
Trans Harness
SVT Flywheel Bolts
Carrier Bearing Mount
Clutch Line(optional)
PS Line(optional)

Basiclly went like a typical transmission swap. Only modifications we had to do were use the speed sensor Pigtail from the SVT harness and pluged it into the stock harness, and then had to do some rerouting of the clutch line and PS Line. Everything else was cake.

Stock Shifter on LH side......SVT on RH Side

Shifter Area Bare

Harnesses(Stock on Top, SVT on Bottom)

Speed Sensor Plug Difference(Had to take the SVT Pigtail and Use in in the Stock Harness

New Clutch Masters Flywheel

Tranny Going In

Axles Going In

Shifter In

Everything Finished
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well, the person you're asking hasn't posted in 11 years, so probably doesn't have an answer for you...

I've done some engine swapping...

The ECU usually has a lot of support components around it, and those make assumptions about the engine. You might be able to swap in the ECU, but be prepared to swap over sensors, instruments, fuel system components, and a bunch of other things.

You are probably better off swapping any sensors and support equipment from your old motor, and running your current ECU.

If the motor is in there now, does that mean that it's not running?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I knew the thread was old, but thought he has posted along the way on other threads since then.

Everything on the engine side of the harnesses is already switched over to Zetec connectors.

Engine runs great but had spark knock and I drove it til it now has rod knock.

No biggee, I'll drop another regular Zetec in.
But, I want to know from someone like him what drama came from the pcm swap.
The diagram shows all the focus PCMs to have the same pinout arrangement at the PCM harness side, which makes me hope that it will be plug and play, since the other ends are already sorted.

I don't want to accidentally do something that would brick or fry the PCM is why I wanted more info.
Well, the person you're asking hasn't posted in 11 years, so probably doesn't have an answer for you...

I've done some engine swapping...

The ECU usually has a lot of support components around it, and those make assumptions about the engine. You might be able to swap in the ECU, but be prepared to swap over sensors, instruments, fuel system components, and a bunch of other things.

You are probably better off swapping any sensors and support equipment from your old motor, and running your current ECU.

If the motor is in there now, does that mean that it's not running?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

101 - 105 of 105 Posts