Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's finished. Pretty straight forward. I love the tranmission. I really went well with the ZX5's setup. There was one problem, got everything together and took it out for a test drive. I guess with the different gearing, it threw the speedo off, then with it being off so much, it was hitting the fuel cut off. Unplugged the speed sensor and it runs great(just no speedometer) So it looks like I'll be sending the chip to McNews to have the ratio reset. Hopefully they can and I'll be calling them tomm. So a chip MUST be used on the 6-speed swap.

Ok here's the parts list.

Transmission
Axles
Shifter Asy
Shift Cables
Fly Wheel
Clutch
Pressure Plate
Upper Tranny Lower Mount(bolts to tranny)
Trans Harness
SVT Flywheel Bolts
Carrier Bearing Mount
Clutch Line(optional)
PS Line(optional)

Basiclly went like a typical transmission swap. Only modifications we had to do were use the speed sensor Pigtail from the SVT harness and pluged it into the stock harness, and then had to do some rerouting of the clutch line and PS Line. Everything else was cake.

Stock Shifter on LH side......SVT on RH Side

Shifter Area Bare

Harnesses(Stock on Top, SVT on Bottom)

Speed Sensor Plug Difference(Had to take the SVT Pigtail and Use in in the Stock Harness

New Clutch Masters Flywheel

Tranny Going In

Axles Going In

Shifter In

Everything Finished

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I was always under the impression that the 5 speed was a better performace oriented tranny while the 6 speed is better suited for auto crossing and cruising. Then again your mated to a V6 so that may help a bit. Congrats on the install, your car is looking sweet!

·
Registered
498 Posts
WOW!! i heard people sayin it cant be done and i believed them all, but you sure did it, proving others wrong!! i'm a believer big time now!!... nice goin!![thumb]

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
He is another one of those multi-focus families! ^^^ Nice Job !! Funny, I think I've seen that work bench before...

Thanks for answering another..Can that be done? for us!!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
viney266 said:
Thanks for answering another..Can that be done? for us!!
I guess we are good at that.......Just waiting patiently to put that checkmark beside "AWD Focus"

Seems like everytime you shift the 6-speed, the tach is right around 2500(right where the power band on those crower 2's start to kick in.......worked out just how I was hoping........autox here we come..........

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I think you need a new shift boot for the interior, that one looks like it's stretched tighter than Joan Rivers' face. [hihi]

Not a swap I would have done, but at least we can link to this thread when a n00b asks for the millionth time if this can be done. [;)]

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right around 5 hours.......luch break and we put her SVT suspension on too........so we made good time..........

·
Registered
376 Posts
was it hard to put the svt suspension on??? i am thinking of doing that but i would rather do it my self. It seems like evereytime i have someone o something for me they F**** it up.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
foc_this said:
was it hard to put the svt suspension on??? i am thinking of doing that but i would rather do it my self. It seems like evereytime i have someone o something for me they F**** it up.
Hey, that is why I do all my own work, at least if it gets messed up I know why and how to fix it...

That sounds really nice for the autox!!!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Originally posted by V6focus
6 Speed Swap Finished!!!!!!!Yes It can be done on a Zetec.....

yeah, we knew that [thumb]

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
heh... we have a new 'can i swap a 6-speed into my zx3' thread?' pretty much every week thanks to the 847329468326423 n00b's that infest this board.... if you'd read those you'd know [thumb]

btw, congrats v6focus... looks good...

1 - 20 of 105 Posts