Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, thank you for everyone who participates in this fourm. I have been coming here for 3 months now(since i got my focus) for information and ideas. Its awesome to have such great resources!

Now to my question.

Today when i was driving home from work, i was cut off by some idiot and forced to downshift and brake. After downshifting i attempted to switch gears and merge off the highway. It wouldn't shift out of gear. I make it off the highway, and attempt to shift, and after having some serious issues getting it to go into a gear, i turned the car off, and shifted the transmission with no power to anything it shifted fine. I made it home(thank god its less than a mile from where this all happened to my house) in first gear the whole way. I parked went inside and had some lunch. Came out and shifted through the gears with the car off, and everything went great. Then i went for a drive around the block, it was going through the gears fine, with a little more than normal resistance. Then all of a sudden when shifting from 3rd to 2nd i lost the transmission completely. I can move the shifter in the car freely into all the gears and positions, but there is nothing at the clutch, acting like the cars in Neutral. Any thoughts to what this problem might be? I am going to pull the inside cover tonight and see if its the linkage or something simple, but as for any other ideas i am at a complete loss. [mad]

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
any sounds when it happened?
so you clutch pedals feels like nothing is there or it just doesn't seem to change anything?
"move freely into all gears and positions" you mean still does the H pattern but no resistance or you can do circles with the shifter?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The clutch pedal still feels like its moving the clutch in and out, and the shifter inside the car is doing the H pattern with no resistance, and there were no sounds really except a small "pop" when i downshifted.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im leaning towards the shifter linkage, as i can have the car running while moving the shifter as described with nothing happening. Has anyone had to replace the linkage, or is there a diy somewhere on here i can use? I searched for one, but the search on the Vbulliten Forums aren't the greatest thing ya know.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
^^ has the counter weight in the shifter been removed? I believe I have heard else ware that mod may result in problems with the linkages. I am no expert here and barely remember hopefully someone with some experience chimes in

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^ has the counter weight in the shifter been removed? I believe I have heard else ware that mod may result in problems with the linkages. I am no expert here and barely remember hopefully someone with some experience chimes in
I do not believe so, i bought the car from the original owner(soccer mom) and she had every piece of paper work for everything she ever did for the car. From oil changes to the t belts to thermostats and tires.
She did switch to a under-drive pulley and a ram air intake, but when i bought the car from here she gave me a box with all the original parts in them. She never said anything about modding the transmission or shifter, but i can ask as shes in my off roading club.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If it shifts fine with no power, could be clutch, considering that it's a hydraulic system it takes a lot of the "feel" out of it. How many miles on it and is the clutch original?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Well the way it sounds with the few mods she did, she could have. when you go through the shift pattern is it real stiff/heavy feeling or does in move real fast and easy?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it shifts fine with no power, could be clutch, considering that it's a hydraulic system it takes a lot of the "feel" out of it. How many miles on it and is the clutch original?
Yeah, i know its a hydraulic system, and removes feel out of it, but there is still "feel" through the peddle. The clutch in the focus is a lot stiffer than the clutch in my ranger. The car has 112k and the clutch has 12k i believe from the paper work i have on the car.
I've never even smelt the clutch in the focus, and its never had any problems hooking up right away when it is let out, no slipping that ive ever felt. So i believe the clutch is in good condition.
Well the way it sounds with the few mods she did, she could have. when you go through the shift pattern is it real stiff/heavy feeling or does in move real fast and easy?
It shifts pretty fast with a little resistance. Granted this is my FIRST car thats FWD. Everything else i have is a pickup, and comparing the way there tranis feel to the focus Doesn't seem like a good comparison.
Vehicles With Manuals Other Than Focus
91 Ranger 5spd
84 Yota 351W Ford with Yota 5 Speed
79 Bronco
77 F150
72 Bronco
70 F100
So seeing as how theres only 2 hydrulic clutches on that list, and old cast iron np435s to compare to, i am not exactly sure what the focus should feel like.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So Small Update. I went out and had my GF move the shifter inside the car for me while i was checking the linkage where it shifts. When she moves the shifter the parts in Green move freely and seem to act normal, however the part in red does not move whatsoever. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Ahaha alota trucks you've had! Honestly I have not driven another stick other then mine and I'm only 17 so have nothin to compare to

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ahaha alota trucks you've had! Honestly I have not driven another stick other then mine and I'm only 17 so have nothin to compare to
Yup, i am a bit of a truck guy, but always had a soft spot for the SVT focus, so when one of my friends was selling one i figured i had to get it, that way i knew my money was going to a good use, and i get a cool car. I've still got all of the Trucks listed haha, and no worries on the 17 thing, im only 21. And a total novice on newer vehicles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Really poor video showing the car running, and not engaging in any gear...

·
Registered
497 Posts
This thing uses two cables to push and pull respectively on the levers highlighted in your picture. Based on the fact that only one of these levers actually moves when you work the shifter - there is somehow a cable disconnected. It may be broken or it may have popped off the shifter mechanism. The transmission end is obviously not difficult to inspect but you need to take apart the center console to gain access to the shifter inside the cab. Push pins, a screwdriver and maybe a 7mm socket is all you should need. I haven't taken one in an SVT apart before but it can't be too complicated. If you don't feel comfortable attacking this problem I'd suggest you get a repair manual (a $20 bill at a dealer should get you all the photocopies you need) or just simply take it to a shop and let them figure it out.

Good news though - its nothing inside the trans. You got lucky in my book, lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bad news is the clutch imploded, good new I know what's wrong.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
awh that sucks! but its an opportunity to upgrade to a stage 2 right? wait shouldnt the warranty be good on it? i mean you have the paperwork and everything right?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
awh that sucks! but its an opportunity to upgrade to a stage 2 right? wait shouldnt the warranty be good on it? i mean you have the paperwork and everything right?
I bought the vehicle through a private party and not a stealership, so there's not any warranty on the car, other than the one in my own pocket. The good news is i have some pretty good connections, and should be able to get it at cost of parts and 15%. Im not sure if i really have a need to upgrade my clutch now, or if just an oe replacement would be good enough.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts