Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the 6 Disc changer makes odd noises when i load the cd, first off, when you load it and it plays the first cd you can hear it spinning but it sounds like the cd is rubbing on something inside, pretty much like a buzz saw sound, then when you try to eject it, it takes forever. Is this a known issue? im thinking of replacing the whole unit with something aftermarket, but i really like the steering wheel audio controls, and i wouldnt be able to hook them up to another unit.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Don't know if the 6-disc is a weak sister in general, but in my car he had it replaced under warranty (at 23K mi, and apparently after complaining--the "see history" part). The ticket says:
CD PLAYER MAKES POPPING NOISE ON ANY CD, SEE HISTORY
CAUSE: 23205 R&R AND EXCHANGE RADIO, MANUALLY REMOVE JAMMED CDS AND PUT IN NEW RADIO.

Your symptom might be a variant on same prob. Stuck or jammed CD, in your case maybe one is stuck against the 'ceiling' of the changer, pancaked above the one that's playing, hence the rubbing sound as the top of the playing one spins on the stuck one. FWIW...

·
Registered
77 Posts
OK, I found "history" ticket. (Big 'un. 6 pages! His first trip for warranty work!)

He had 10 complaints. (#A-J. #K on the ticket was the free rent-car!!!!)
After 7wks -- bought @ 8406 mi, serviced @ 9580 mi -- 10 complaints!

#F on ticket
CD PLAYER SKIPS AUDIOPHILE C/D 6 9006
CAUSE: .
SUB SUBLET REPAIR

Whatever. Anyway 13K mi & 14 mo later he got a new one. Don't know how often he had to nag for it.

My take = it was FU the first time, when nearly new; they were clueless (no # in the "cause" field above, just a dot); they farmed it out ("sublet") & the fix didn't work--and then they replaced it a year later.

I don't use it much. Didn't for months after he died, knowing he had 2 of his band's CDs in the changer. Couldn't face the what-if. Finally fired it up and moved forward.

Now we got cool weather, windows down today, roof open. Hearing the engine made me happy, listening to another tune--from its pipes. Hear birds at stoplights.

Music's everywhere. Love it. Critically.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have this exact same problem with mine. Its a pain in the ass, but i have found that if you change to a different cd that is already loaded that you can get to play, and just jump back to the cd you just put in, it will work just fine. Again...its far more time consuming and a pain, but...it works for mine.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wish that worked for mine, sadly i just tried, nothing :( Im going to install an aftermarket, and when i get the money im putting in the wiring harness that will allow me to use the steering controls too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine does the same thing...if you insert it enough times it WILL play it...and it depends on the cd type..it seems to like standard store bought cds a lot better, the burned ones I have trouble playing, but once it's loaded it plays all the time without a problem...only when I actually take it out and try to place a cd back in does it give me a hassle....

In the great worlds of Michael Jackson...

You are not alone...I am here with you.....

·
Michael J. Caboose
6,512 Posts
I had mine replaced TWICE under warranty, and THEN they tell me that it won't play burned cd's...have not had a problem since, and it has been playing great for the past 9 months. To get your stuck cd's out is pretty easy as well...just remove the HU, take off a couple screws from the top, and pop the cd's out.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Here's what you're going to need to fix your 6 disc.
stereo removal tools
a large open field
Duct tape
half stick of dynamite
ignitor
remote detonator
sunglasses, just to be cool

1 - 9 of 9 Posts