Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you might have seen in the showroom section, I purchased a 84 6.2 silverado. The 6.2 is a v8-diesel motor. I got the truck started after 3 days, then came to find out that the engine had a cracked block. I stitched the crack and sure enough there were 3 other cracks. I am assuming it was ran hot... Thanks to someone who helped me previously by providing a site, car-part.com, I was able to purchase a freshly rebuilt 91 6.2 out of a gm. It arrived yesterday and this morning I had it prepped to go in. My 3 ton cherry picker showed up tonight. So tomorrow I begin my venture. The plans for tomorrow are to unbolt the transmission, pull the engine, switch the pulleys and flywheel/torque converter to the new engine. If all goes, I may venture dropping the motor back tomorrow also, and finish the wiring, oil hook ups, etc the next day.

This is my first time dealing with a diesel motor, but the concept of swapping the motor is the same, except you HAVE to have both batteries fully charged, because the motor has to be cranked several times to prime the injection pump...

Oh yea on a last note, since this is a NA diesel, I am thinking about pulling the injector pump and advancing the timing. If I don't do it now I will do it once its in the truck. Wish me luck, heres some starter pics!

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Good Luck, I'm dreading the day I have to pull my Cummins out... hopefully i still have a couple of hundred thousand miles left in it.

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm assuming you have your diesel turned up? haha. I'm getting something to dtrink right now to start the morning off in about 30 minutes.. I'm hoping to get the motor out by 1

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
Wow.. Its after one.. Any Progress...? Good Luck.. Thats a Big Engine

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm getting my butt kicked lmao. My hands are pitch black. After 4 hours and a couple of homemade tools I got the 6 bolts from the transmission and block, and getting ready to go back out and work on getting the flywheel from the torque converter. Works stopping at five and starting again at 6... I'm hoping to have this beast out within the next hours... More pics to come tho.

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I overshot my time I would like to get the engine pulled by 3 hours but its out.

Rebuilt 6.2, it wasn't properly shipped. Bent the pulley, thats why I have a jack under it.

My light, a porch light, with the wires stuck in an extension cord. lol

The buckets got a mix of water, oil, diesel, and the previous owners "bio-diesel crap".

As it sits until I come back around 6ish.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Welcome to my world of work :)

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
I'm assuming you have your diesel turned up? haha.
As far as it will let me [}:)] (on the stock pump and small housing on the turbo)

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well an update... I was going to put the motor in and just align it with the trans, but for some reason my lift decided to fall with my motor and hit my dad garage door lol. So, I got that worked out for the most part and will have to fix the jack tomorrow, but It should be running by tomorrow night.

I love a turned up diesel lol, I like to black the skies. haha. I thought about just slapping a cheap supercharger on this, since its just a work truck really.

·
Registered
891 Posts
If your hands are not black when working on the car, you must step away now. It's required to get your hands black when under the hood.

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea, I tend to stay away from the latax-free gloves lol. But today I got the motor in, and started getting the motor primed for the start. It took from 10-10 to complete it today, but some more good news is a guy came at 10:00 tonight and bike, I'm so happy.

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yay! I think the timing is off, or injector is bad. There is a horrible knock, nothing like a internal related knock. Its hard to explain. So in the morning, I'm going to advance/retard the timing and see if I can't fix it. But, if for some reason it is internal on a rebuilt engine, i got a warrenty on it. I'll jerk the sucka out and ship it back lol. Wish me luck.

Oh yea, for the safety hazard, I wired it to a plug so I can disconeect it now lol.

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, it goes from bad, to worse, to I'm thinking about cutting my losses and junking it. The starter has so much torque on it, where is I belive somewhere around a 23-24:1 compression ration, don't quote me on that, that its ripped the side of the block off... I'm going to make one more attempt to fix this, if this fail, I'm turning to my last option. Gut every bit of diesel out of this truck. Ignition, fuel, fuel lines, etc. And switching to a carb'd 350, trans will bolt right to it. Or, loosing about 500 dollars and selling it. I'd rather spend about 200 more than to loose 500 lol, but Its got me frustrated, and its holding up putting the turbo it. But, on the other hand, I need this truck, so that I can start my business in January.

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

As it sits now, going to start wiring for the msd ignition, going to use the same fuel pumps. Just have to run a constant hot wire from the ignition to them, and put a regulator on it. I hate that I work nights and only have the weekend off, lol. I have to wait monday morning to call and find a motor. I guess this would be the time to say that I'm getting a nice 4 barrel, polished intake, cam, and some other nice goodies. :D

Oh btw, heres a pic of what I do at work lol.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
dear god please tell me this isn't going into your focus. from what i gather it is going into a work truck but i dunno. we got some crazy peoples around here. good grief the torque in a deisel focus would be ungodly. but it is going in a truck right?

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea, I scratched the diesel, at like 25:1 compression its hard to keep a starter on it, let alone the starter bolt in block. I've got a built 5.7 going in it right now, had it fired up this morning, but I need a new flywheel, so :p....

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
then get yourself a flywheel! looks like good progress so far. oh, what the hell do you do (at work)?

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Picking up my flywheel in the morning after work. I work at a place called deroyal, we make expensive medical supplies. Its a fortune 500 company, and I work in the only distribution center. I place and arrange product in the shelves for dayshift to pull. Kinda fun and boring at the same time lol.

Edit: Btw, the "aisle" I am in, is valued over 100 million in product lol.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts