Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the risk of rehashing a subject ( I'm fairly new to the group ), My oil filler cap says "5w20".
I have never used an oil with those kind of numbers; any comments?

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
i'm not makin fun of you...but run a search in the archives...me and another spoke all about 5w20, also you will find which quality all makes have it, why ford uses it and such

·
Registered
341 Posts
amsoil or redline 5w20...nothin else (not keen on m1 after those syn-blend/new blend crap)

run what it says, ford has voided warranties on engines b4 when the incorrect oil is used, they can test for (they will if you have a prob) and they have the right to void if its incorrect.

good luck

-Ult

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
i use Motorcraft 5w20 blended

·
Registered
456 Posts
I use Motorcraft 5w20 as well.

·
Registered
92 Posts
UltegraSTI said:
ford has voided warranties on engines b4 when the incorrect oil is used
BS, dude. It is illegal for them to do that. But the person who believed them if this actually happened is stupid. As long as you dont put any addatives in your engine and you put in oil that is meets SAE or API service requirements, then they cannot void your warranty. If no other oil was compatible for the motor, it would say so. Ford recommends 5w-20 becasue it helps your gas mileage. Very little though. However, 5w-20 has less film and shear strength than 10w-30 and will make your engine wear faster.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
TheOtherRobert said:
BS, dude. It is illegal for them to do that. But the person who believed them if this actually happened is stupid. As long as you dont put any addatives in your engine and you put in oil that is meets SAE or API service requirements, then they cannot void your warranty. If no other oil was compatible for the motor, it would say so. Ford recommends 5w-20 becasue it helps your gas mileage. Very little though. However, 5w-20 has less film and shear strength than 10w-30 and will make your engine wear faster.
However, 5w-20 has less film and shear strength than 10w-30 and will make your engine wear faster
I don't question you know what your talking about but where did you get these facts [?]
Who did the testing and studies to back up these claims [?]
I would change to 10w-30 if you can back up your statements with proven facts.
[paranoid]

·
Registered
32 Posts
This is theotherrobert. they finally banned me. anyway, i pretty much copied and pasted that from about 3 different sites about oil. just go on google and type in 5w20 vs 10w30 and it will come up with lots of useful stuff. google is a lot more helpful than you think if you want to find out stuff. One of the points i have been trying to make.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Google is indeed a useful tool but use with caution - don't believe everything you read. Just because it's on the internet doesn't necessarily mean it is true.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I was speaking more to the other poster than you, and not specifically about the info that you posted, but about information pulled from the internet in general. I don't want to argue with you about oil, all I'm saying is that Google is great but there is a lot of misinformation out there as well.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Angrybeef, I did a search on google and all I got where other messageboards and oil distributers selling oil. I tried refining my search but came up empty. I even went to the SAE website but they didn't have anything specific about 5w20 or 10w30 testing in general.

As SVT4ME stated, there is alot of information on the internet and you can't believe facts on a websites created by people like you and me unless there is some substantial facts that can back up their statements. I think there has been numerous discussions about other mods you can do to your car but the end result to satify a dispute is usually a dyno test to show the actual gain on a mod.

Believe me, I would change to 10w30 if I had some facts that could show me that its better than 5w20. I think what you have said makes since that 10w30 has better shear strength than 5w20 by looking at the oil weight numbers. I just need to see some facts or test results like in a dyno chart format or somthing done by a known test facility that shows a car tested on 5w20 verses 10w30.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to dis you or get a rise out of you. I just need to see the facts before I put something in my car that could possibly harm it.

Just don't take this so personally. I'm just trying to get the facts. Maybe someone else will read this and find the facts or charts for us because I can't seem to find them.
[limp]

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Good info Angrybeef. Now I see where you got the info you posted on this subject last time.
I'm sending amsoil and the websites an email to ask questions on where they got this information. I'm pretty much convinced that 5w20 does have less shear strength than 5w30 and that it can wear your engine parts quicker from reading the website article but I want to find the source of this information the websites have posted and hopefully amsoil or these websites can help me find it.

Thanks for providing me with the info and links angrybeef.
[thumb]

I will post any replys I get from amsoil or the other websites about my questions when I receive them. [driving]

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
I emailed Amsoil regarding the information on the websites that angrybeef provided.

This is what the Amsoil Tech Services Manager had to say.

"I fully agree with this statement. and yes it is accurate. We do offer a quality
5W20 oil however if someone feels that is what they must use. Depending on the
application, our AMSOIL ASL 5W30 or TSO 0W30 may certainly be used and these are
our top shelf products."

Thanks again,

Ed Kellerman
Manager, Amsoil Tech Services
[:)]

Well, angrybeef, so far, all you have said appear to be true. I think that myself and others just needed some additional facts to be persuded to use another weight of oil not recommended by the car manufacturer. Anyway, it looks like there are synthetic versions of 5w20 that can be used that has good shear strength then the standard off the shelf 5w20 oil.
[thumb]

http://www.authorized-amsoil-dealer-for-synthetic-motor-oil.com/best-oil/best-5w20-oil-for-honda-ford-and-others.html

The guy at the one of the websites has read this post and is looking in to the source of the
facts posted on the website. When the guy at the website responds with his search on the source of the facts on the website, I will post them here for all to see.

[cheers]

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Well, the guy at one of the websites provided by angrybeef had this to say about the facts about 5w20 oil on his website.

"This information is not so much from a particular article or single source but more from discussions with those who have intimate knowledge of the issue such as Ford engineers who design the engines, know there have been no changes to necessitate a change in oil viscosity, have seen the benchtesting which shows reduced wear protection from 5w20 oils
and who use 5 or 10w30 in all of their Ford vehicles regardless of the 5w20 recommendations.

Of course, there are numerous articles that have been written on CAFE issues and these are basically common knowledge within the industry. It is simply a combination of that information with the information gleaned from engineers and such which then paints a full picture of the issue as a whole."

So, still no source but I have one more guy looking in to the matter.

Anyway, I think I learned a lot from this discussion and probably will still use
5w20 but in a synthetic form to be on the safe side.

Thanks angrybeef for your info and input to this discussion.
[cheers]

[driving] [burnout]
[limp]

1 - 20 of 88 Posts