Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2008 Focus SE. Wife and i are loving it. I just read something that i never read before - that the use of 5w30 is better for my car than 5w20. Even though 5w20 is recommended by Ford. I don't think I believe that. I am planning on using a synthetic 5w20 or MC syn blend 5w20. With a MC filter, or a Pure One. I'm thinking I should stay with the mfg recommendation of 5w20. Am I correct?[???:)

·
Registered
472 Posts
ALWAYS go with what the manufacturer recommends. Not doing so opens you to a possible voided warranty if something should break that is affected by this. If you are using an oil that ford does not recommend and your internals break they can look at it, determine you were out of spec and you COULD (not necessarily will) eat the cost of the repair.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Opinions on oil and headlights virtually ensure there will never be a consensus. Folks will act based on experience and the information they have available to them.

I just bought a 2012 Focus Titanium last Saturday. It will turn over 1,000 miles tomorrow and will be filled with Amsoil SAE 5W-20 Signature Series 100% Synthetic Motor Oil.

http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?code=ALMQT-EA

After studying a bit about the oil filter on the Focus I am inclined to not deviate from the factory prescribed filter. I'll stick with the Motorcraft FL-910-S.

Opinions . . .you can bet . . .will vary widely.

The "good news" is that you really can't buy a "bad" motor oil anymore. The current API specs ensure there are top quality offerings from many companies.

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
pretty much as long as there is oil in the engine your good. the difference between 5w20 and 5w30 is not going to blow the engine or void the warranty.

·
Registered
724 Posts
After studying a bit about the oil filter on the Focus I am inclined to not deviate from the factory prescribed filter. I'll stick with the Motorcraft FL-910-S.
Why do you think that filter is special? It is the same filter that was called out in the Motorcraft catalog back in 1985 for my Turbo Daytona and is also called out for a N/A PT Cruiser now. The 03 turbo PT I have called out for a FL-400-S and since I had a pile of them that is what I used on the Focus for it's first oil change.

The 400 is the same diameter but longer so it has more filter media and holds a little more oil, both are good things in my book.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
They have done alot to this car to keep the pollution down and ive read that the 5W20 is one of the things. Its your car but if i can save a little going with the 5W30 ill get that. Maybe 5W30 in the summer and 5W20 in the winter?

Ive heard people say that the 5W20 just puts out less smoke which is what they are trying to do.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I would say the 5w-20 was primarily selected for economy.

Also, the wider the range in a multiple viscosity oil the more additives that must be added. It's the additives that break down with time. 5w-20 will keep it's properties longer to support the 10k mile oil change interval.

·
Registered
401 Posts
What's not to believe I don't get it? Ford says 5w20 so use 5w20 I don't understand why people simply will not follow the the recommendations I mean do you think they are printing this stuff on the engine oil cap and in the owners manual just to mislead you or what?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Opinions on oil and headlights virtually ensure there will never be a consensus. Folks will act based on experience and the information they have available to them.

I just bought a 2012 Focus Titanium last Saturday. It will turn over 1,000 miles tomorrow and will be filled with Amsoil SAE 5W-20 Signature Series 100% Synthetic Motor Oil.

http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?code=ALMQT-EA
$10 a quart. Ouch! never tried amsoil but I'm a huge fan of royal purple in mine. My 04 only has 33K on it now so it's still able to be switched without experiencing any leak issues on the gaskets and seals

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
don627

I don't think you understand my thread. I was reading a different thread and a writer said that he uses 5w30 instead of 5w20. Says it's better for the engine. That's what is not too easy to believe. My point was that I should ignore this opinion and go w/ mfg recommendation. I have my answer. Capice?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Opinions are like hemmeroids, every ... Follow the manufacturer's recommendation, they have no interest in replacing engines under warranty so they would not recommend something bad for the engine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts