Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright done some searching on here and the posts that i found that were any help were a little dated so just want to update on the info. Have had the foci for about 800 miles now and as soon as i got it home i changed the oil and put in motorcraft 5w20 and now i don't think that i am going to stay with the original plans of only that. so what do you all think and what are you running?
worried that 5 20 will not be thick enough for the high reving that my foci might see. expecially since every ford car from 2001 and newer calls for 5 20 except the svt line. makes me think that the oil is not performance oriented. might be switching to ever so faithful castrol but syntec this time.

·
on thin air
3,668 Posts
I always felt it worth the extra money for the synthetic oil as well. I have always beat the crap out of my cars and my last two cars (AWD Protege, 323 hatch) both saw life beyond 230k. I give credit to the synthetics. They also have a wider temp range than regular oils.

·
Registered
153 Posts
im using mobil 1 0w-20 and its awesome compared to the castrol syntec i had in before

·
2focusedracing
1,799 Posts
I use mobil 1, 5-w30, I like to run mine kinda hard at the track(the thing loves to rev)so a couple extra bucks is worth the added protection.imo.[driving]

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
i run royal purple 5w-20 (in the focus)... hasnt given me a bit of trouble[thumb]

·
Registered
33 Posts
The Motorcraft 5W-20 is synthetic and about $2 a quart.

I had a Zetec powered contour, drove the crap out of it, and used inexpensive non-synthetic oil. I got 160,000 out of it without trouble. The person who bought it from me three years ago is still driving it. In my opinion, the Zetec is a bombproof engine and you should not have any problems with whatever oil you use - if you change it regularly.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
deckzx5 said:
The Motorcraft 5W-20 is synthetic and about $2 a quart.

I had a Zetec powered contour, drove the crap out of it, and used inexpensive non-synthetic oil. I got 160,000 out of it without trouble. The person who bought it from me three years ago is still driving it. In my opinion, the Zetec is a bombproof engine and you should not have any problems with whatever oil you use - if you change it regularly.
bombproof? hehe... put some mods on it and give it a little hell... 'bombproof' ends up being about as accurate as 'fast honda'... it just doesnt work...

·
Registered
25,620 Posts
Just remember the big thing is to actually change it once in a while... We can argue about brand and weight, but change it every 5,000 or so and you should be fine!!! Its the folks that go, say, 24,000 between changes you worry about!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
im running fully synthetic 5w20....the way the motor is built, running a thick oil isn't going to help you. it will take the revving..changing the weight of the oil isn't going to save a motor

·
Registered
682 Posts
Like i said 5w30, but throw me in the mobil 1 full syn line as well she's had that her whole life and never given me any trouble and i drive thr crap out of this car about everyday, quick off topic the focus is spose to run 5w20 stock??? my oil cap says 5w30 and thats what the dealer put in it once, not worried or anything just curious to see if my oil cap may have been switched or something.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
The manual for our 2000 model year says 5W-30.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
They say 5w20 for emissions, that's it. 5w30 isn't going to hurt anything.

And while we're on the topic, everyone running Mobil1 (or any other type-III base stock "synthetic") is throwing their money away...its not a true synthetic, its just regular dino oil that's been further refined. Sure it has the lubrication quality of a true syn, but it lacks the breakdown resistance, pour, burn and flash temperatures and molecular uniformity of a type IV/V base stock synthetic.

For about $15 more than you'd spend on Mobil you can get amsoil that'll last for 35,000 miles between changes (with filter changes and topoffs every 12,500), and it lubricates better. I know some people on here think that amsoil is overrated, but since I put it in my car's been running a lot smoother, you can feel it (or rather you can't) up above 3,000 RPMs, it just doesn't feel like the engine's being pushed that hard anymore.

Of course, I'm not going to take them at their word that its good for 35,000...at 10k I'm going to have my oil analyzied and see how its holding up.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts